The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PWA7C = 750MC?
Sadly, I think you are right Ian, racing Austin Sevens in no longer a low cost option, so I think the club’s focus is more on the cheaper modern alternatives and concentrates more on motor sport, as the Austin Seven heritage slowly begins to fade...
I think the answer, Ian, is yes. 750 have moved on to become a very successful promoter of low cost modern racing and the Austin 7 part has gradually diminished until they've reached the point that it's not sustainable with where the club is now. The arrangement with PWA7C seems a way forward and I wish it every success.

Steve
At the 750 MC Donnington 80-80 anniversary meeting, I was impressed to see the huge variety of low-cost racing options the club promotes. On a limited  budget, how about this, a class where, apart from stripping out flammable material and the usual safety modifications, almost nothing can be altered from bog-standard: https://www.750mc.co.uk/formulae/classic...-hatch.htm
(05-12-2020, 02:49 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Sadly, I think you are right Ian, racing Austin Sevens in no longer a low cost option, so I think the club’s focus is more on the cheaper modern alternatives and concentrates more on motor sport, as the Austin Seven heritage slowly begins to fade...

I might be being overly cynical, but I believe that the fact that "traditional"A7 activities don't bring in any significant revenue is the main reason that the 750MC want to move us on -they are keeping the A7 racing. That said, I'm happy to be moved on, the 750MC of today is unrecognisable from the club I joined in 1973.

A visit to the paddock at a 750 meeting is an eye opener  of what 'the home of affordable motorsport' looks like today; plenty of competing cars delivered by bespoke artic rigs with full length awnings and digital setup platforms etc. - The 750MC don't seem to be using the 'Low Cost Motorsport' strapline these days. I have been a club and occasionally national level competitor in sprint and Hillclimb for many years; most people still tow their racer to and from these events on a trailer behind a daily driver - (relatively) low cost motorsport without the capital letters -not the space that the 750 club is occupying for many of their formulae these days IMO.
I think it might be worthwhile repeating my post from early on in this thread, before the 750 members voted in favour of the proposal. The key message was this: If things continue as they are the section will gradually wither away to nothing.

The proposal is not an amalgamation or formal joining of the 750MC and the PWA7C. It is an agreement that each club will do certain things for the other. There will not be any intereference by either club in the running of the other club. Each will remain totally autonomous.

No-one is being told that they must choose between clubs. Everyone is able to belong to either or both.

For decades after the founding of the 750, the Austin 7 was intrinsically linked to every part of the club's activities. In more recent years that link has substantially diminished and now the club concentrates far more on its racing formulae, most of which have no connection with A7s.

The 'Heritage' part of the 750MC (road going A7s and Production Car Trials) exists today only because of the voluntary efforts of a relatively small band of people in the Centres who give their time freely to help keep the Centres and various events running. Without them there would be no Heritage section of the club.

750MC has tried in the past to recruit someone who could be the driving force for 'Heritage' at HQ/Board level but that has come to nothing and the harsh reality is that 'Heritage' is not going to thrive in the modern 750MC environment. If things continue as they are the section will gradually wither away to nothing.

We have therefore looked at what can be done to ensure that 750 does not lose its historic connection to the Austin 7 and at the same time ensure that those who have an interest in 'Heritage' receive support.

The proposal to place Heritage with the PWA7C fulfils that aim. It will strengthen both clubs and it will mean that those whose interest is in road going A7s and Production Car trials will be properly and well served. It also means that events such as the National Austin 7 Rally will continue into the future because there will be a much larger pool of people who could get involved.

Those who currently make Heritage happen at Centre level will be able to continue doing exactly what they do now. In that respect nothing changes.