The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original
Where do I find out what my new Austin 7 was originally made as? It's a 1931 vintage, and currently has a hillclimb body on it.Rod
have you got a car number tag?
It may indicate there are records still at Gaydon....
A 'hello', a 'please' and a 'thanks for any help available', from a new visitor might also help persuade long term members to spend some of their time offering help.
Or perhaps its's just me being old fashioned.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
You are not being old fashioned Andy, just polite.

As Jon said the tags would help, but I imagine as a special, the only thing to go on would be the chassis number and that really would only confirm it’s age.
if the chassis number is within certain bounds i.e if its B1 or B3, the full supplied spec exists.
Ah, that’s good news, I thought the specs were only available up to 1930, I’ll have to brush up on my A7 knowledge!
Couldn't agree more Andy,
I have often found that a modicum of humility often encourages a more favourable response.
J
Hello Rod, you might find the Austin Seven clubs ascociation chassis register 'quote this number' information sheets of interest, it lists the chassis number ranges for which better records are held and also much detail on other dated parts.

Link here to the pdf file otherwise search Austin seven quote this number and you'll find your way to it.

There is a car listed on eBay currently Link here, one of the photos shows the type of document you would receive if the chassis is within the ranges held by Gaydon motor museum, for a small fee.
Jon - B1, B3 are prefixes to the Car Number, not the chassis number. As this only appears on a plate riveted to the body, it's unlikely to have survived on Rod's special.

Rod - the chassis number should be stamped into the top of the nearside chassis rail, just behind the rear engine mounting. As has been mentioned, some factory records survive for 1931 cars. Fingers crossed!
as I said, IF its a B1 or B3 chassis number! He may not be able to tell, but we will!

More of the politeness I find is in original posters bothering to keep the flow going once they've posted. I'm not fussed if there is a "thankyou muchly for joining bit", but the common courtesy comes from just bothering to check back in quickly?