The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security.
Some interesting comments from Reckless, as we have toured extensively in France and left our tourer unattended in public car parks without problems, albeit never overnight. One can take a view on the general area and make a judgement accordingly.  As well as the various devices already mentioned, we get peace of mind from the fitting of a tonneau. This completely covers the car's interior and requires more deliberation to remove. If not already fitted, I recommend having a tonneau made for your open top.
Hi Chis and Hillary

I made a tonneau for my special build recently.  23g per sq meter canvas sews easily with a domestic machine, press studs or lift the dot fasteners are easy to fit.  The only difficulty is how you treat the bulge for the steering wheel.  

Regarding security, I am a bit paranoid about leaving my Sevens unattended, but I spoke with the owner of a lovely early Top Hat at a recent gathering. His comment “ It’s never occurred to me to lock my Seven!”

I have a battery isolator and a HUGE motorcycle chain with a combination lock threaded through the wheels and radius arm. It’s more easy to stow than a conventional wheel lock.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   1CADE190-688B-4E54-8AFE-1306B0E9038E.jpeg (Size: 106.8 KB / Downloads: 172)
When I did the Mille Miglia circuit with the late Mile Davis in 2004 the only trouble was that some valve caps disappeared in the car park opposite my house in France as we were travelling south. Wherever we stopped and chatted to locals in Italy they were enthusiastic about the trip being done in two Austin Sevens, but they emphasised that it would be stupid to take the cars into Rome, so we did not. We had no trouble anywhere, but tonneau covers were fitted at night.
Robert Leigh
Overheard in Liverpool near Anfield football ground:

Give us a quid to watch your car, Mister.
No need, Son. I've left my Rottweiler inside.
Ah, fireproof is he?
I see you went fancy with your tonneau Howard! I merely stretched mine over the top of the steering wheel.

The role of psychology is often overlooked in security arrangements. I used to backpack around some fairly lonely parts of India with a sizeable padlock and chain around my rucksack. It projected a clear message that yes, I was aware of the risk of theft and prepared to meet it; but also diverted attention away from my valuables, which were invariably stashed inside my clothes somewhere. The greatest defence in my experience is the friendship of those you meet along the road. The huge majority of people respond to openness, kindness and honesty with the same in return. Anywhere there are too many people to engage on a one-to-one level you are probably better off out of there anyway. Visibly hovering over a car and covering it with clamps and locks projects a smell of fear and sets people's minds on another track. Just my two penn'orth...
Re RR's jest, at an annual rally of the VAR here a couple of years ago some vandal set fire to cars in a semi secure park, markedly damaging one Seven.
With everyone toting a camera the selfie mania gets out of control. A firm line is needed to keep strangers out of cars.
We had an elderly member of the VAR who also owned a large veteran car. At a show I was bemused to observe his wife left in charge. A fellow with a cute daughter asked if she could sit in and have photo taken. Based on long experinece the lady replied very firmly....No!
With a Club I visited a private collection. The owner was miffed that a school party had knicked the now hard to find metal valve caps off one car. Some resent the skill and ingenuity represented by restored cars. Souveniring bits becomes a game.
We have the local Museum of Transport. If you look carefully most of the older cars on display are missing small removable items