The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double front shock absorber
If twisting the axle doesn't work for you another method is a horseshoe shaped washer 5mm thick between axle and rad arm. I did this on my chummy as a temporary solution to wandering. Was still there 25 years later.
Dave.
I agree - the kingpin tilt is critical to stop wandering !

Just a tad back from vertical works wonders  Smile
(12-09-2019, 02:02 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: I agree with Malcolm about rear springs and also I found that adding an extra arm on each rear shock absorber plus an extra fixed bracket on the chassis on my box saloon improved its cornering. Made out of scrap bits again!
Dave.

Dave - do you have any pictures of the "extra-arm" modification? When younger "wander" didn't seem to bother us - but then, we were rather less fearful...
Tony if you take a look at my special build thread I showed one way of doing this recently
Black Art Enthusiast
Rick,

quite a number of the cars I’ve worked on have had the radius arms fitted incorrectly, once they are swapped to the correct side self steering disappears. May be worth a look...
Thanks Ruairidh - just remind me again, what is the "correct" way round?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I cannot remember the 1a casting numbers (these are not always clear anyway to be honest) and am not near a car to check. The thick end of the wedge must be at the bottom on both sides when fitted correctly. Post a photo of what you have if you are not sure. Some have come in with two o/s arms fitted...
Thanks Ruairidh - I'll check asap. Currently getting ready for a 10-day holiday in Portugal ( sans cars)
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Based on all the good advice above, I carried out the following:

New shock absorber discs, springs, bushes etc.
“Panhard” mod to nearside S/A arm - the sideways movement of the axle has been “absorbed” by the spring shackles, which, with the wheels on the ground, are now at very different angles.
New radius arm ball joints.
Slackness taken up in the steering box.
Tyre pressure reduced to 22psi all round.

Hoppity-skippety steering seems totally eliminated and the ride is much stiffer all round – may ease off as disc bed in.

Only downside is steering wheel spoke is no longer at 12-o-clock when driving straight ahead. I prefer it that way, so may realign it when I’ve nothing better to do! In the meantime, thank you all for your suggestions and advice.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
The spring shackles need to be at an equal angle side to side, it sounds as though you need to adjust the length of your improvised panhard rod.Or you could use a fixed shackle at one end of the spring and put the shock absorber link back on. If using the shock link as a panhard you need to weld an “eye” onto the end of the link to accommodate a rubber bush so involves a bit of work either way