The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No (accu) spark - test sequence?
I have no experience of the DK distributor, but I understand that, with the DJ instrument, the top bushes wear, which messes with the dwell angle. Both my distributors now have new bushes and sorted out greasers.

I hvae just got back from a 35 mile round trip down to Dolgellau to have some new tyres fitted, together with a couple of stops en route for shopping etc. and the car has behaved perfectly.

Incidentally, I had no idea that worn tyres could have so much rolling resistance! Despite the fact that Dolgellau is downhill from Bala, the car went better coming back with its new boots on that it did going.
If the old tech is shagged then get it rebuilt properly. Carry a spare set of points if you must. Why spend hard earned on new tech with dubious/fickle reliability and have to carry old tech as a back up because you dare not trust it. The old tech back up is probably also shagged!
It just seems crazy logic to me.

I have used the Distributor Doctor in the past for Lucas units with very good results. Is there anyone out there who does the same service for A7 units? I have not enquired but possibly the DD does.

Paul N-M
The lad I found (quite by chance) is called Trevor Fawcett. He has a Chummy, a 'C' cab van and an RP saloon. I understand he rebuilds A7 dynamos starters and distributors more as a hobby than anything else.

I shall email him tonight and see if he will allow me to share his contact details on this site.
(27-03-2019, 05:25 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: If the old tech is shagged then get it rebuilt properly. Carry a spare set of points if you must. Why spend hard earned on new tech with dubious/fickle reliability and have to carry old tech as a back up because you dare not trust it. The old tech back up is probably also shagged!
It just seems crazy logic to me.

Who has actually stated that they "dare not trust it"? My own units have performed very well indeed and I trust them just fine.

The spare standard units that I carry are fully rebuilt, tested and ready for immediate use - I regard this as prudent.

Nobody is being forced to use the units, many are offering sensible and friendly advice based on their experiences of using them. I respect and understand that many are not interested in them, despise them, would perhaps rather stick pins in their eyes, than use them - that is personal choice and a-okay with me.

Celebrate the differences, there are many.
(27-03-2019, 08:39 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: This thread underlines why I keep a conventional dizzy on board my electronic-ignition Ruby. The other day the car was reluctant to start and when it did fire it was missing. I took off the distributor cap and found that the central electrode was missing - it was lying in two pieces on the baseplate. Only the spring was touching the rotor arm. Substituted conventional dizzy and all fine again of course. Why the electrode sheared in half I have no idea - but if your electronic ignition starts misbehaving it's perhaps something to check right away.

Hi Nick,

had you considered simply putting a new carbon brush in, or swapping the distributor cap for another?
YesI have no issues at all with what people want to use or carry as spares.
Live and let live!
This forum seems to discuss the merits of electronic distributors on a regular basis and reliability or related issues seem to be a recurring theme. Many old cars have electronic upgrades and owners don’t seem to feel the need to carry a whole spare unit for fear of unreliability. For some reason many A7 owners seem to feel naked without one. I’m curious why this is the case.
Paul N-M
I had exactly this problem a few weeks ago. The battery was charged up to about 6.8 volt but no spark when cranking. When the voltage at battery was measured during cranking, it was just over 4 volts. But recovered to the high 6v when stopped cranking. Duff battery. Replaced with an Exide from Tanya and starting was instant.

This bears out what Ruairidh says about the electronics not working with a low input voltage. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
(27-03-2019, 06:36 PM)David Stepney Wrote: The lad I found (quite by chance) is called Trevor Fawcett. He has a Chummy, a 'C' cab van and an RP saloon. I understand he rebuilds A7 dynamos starters and distributors more as a hobby than anything else.

I shall email him tonight and see if he will allow me to share his contact details on this site.

Further to my post earlier this evening, The lad who rebuilt my distributor is Trevor Fawcett whose email address is travazit@hotmail.com.
David that email doesn't seem to work... wanted to ask him about toggles etc.
Sorry. The correct email is: trevazit@hotmail.com.

Its amazing how a simple 'typo' can lead to all sorts of trouble!