The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
The scale in that shot makes the Ruby look enormous!
Following on from yesterday's post(s), I amused myself (if that is the right phrase) by starting on the list of things to be done to the RP that does not require the purchase of bits. The main job of the day was to sort the small amount of 'rock' that has always been present between the steering wheel and the column. The steering wheel also was not centralised, and that has annoyed me from day one.

It looked to be  simple job: undo the lower steering column control arms together with the horn wire, undo the clamp just under the upper column control levers , slide the inner column out and remove the nut securing the steering wheel.

It proved to be anything but! Firstly, the little 1/8 whit nuts and bolts holding the lower control arms were impossibly tight right to the end of their threads. Not easy when one has to hold one spanner from under the car to stop the bolt rotating  whilst working with another spanner from inside the bonnet to undo the nut, effectively cuddling the front wing.

It took me an hour to get the arms off. Undoing the clamp the other end was easy. Then came the next problem. The inner column wouldn't quite come out. The roof was in the way! If my car had been a 'de-luxe' model with a sunshine roof, there would have been no problem. At least I had enough clearance to remove the steering wheel nut and reposition the steering wheel. The 'rock' in the steering wheel was because there was no washer between the nut and the wheel itself, so I have made a horseshoe washer to interpose between the two. Problem solved!

Having cleaned up the lower arms and their little nuts and bolts, it was a lot easier to put the inner column back together and set the controls up. The trouble is that once one has disturbed the advance /retard control arm, it mucks the fine setting of the timing up, so the Motoring Dog and I have been out on road test, stopping at convenient laybys to play with the distributor to get the timing back to the point where one has the maximum advance without the engine sounding rough. Came back along my favourite straight between Fron Goch and Bala at a steady indicated 45 to 50 (the speedo is a little vague and (according to a friend's 'satnav') reads about 3 mph slow throughout its range, so I am assuming that all is well.

And the steering wheel is straight!

No post should really be without photos, so here goes:

Two shots of the car at Llyn Celyn and one of the Motoring Dog with a big silly grin.

Finally. A question for the cognoscenti. My rear body mountings are bolted directly to the chassis extensions. Should there be small blocks or pads between the body and chassis at this point?

Attached Files
.jpg   S021I001.JPG (Size: 124.4 KB / Downloads: 498)
.jpg   S021I002.JPG (Size: 145.49 KB / Downloads: 498)
.jpg   S021I004.JPG (Size: 108.71 KB / Downloads: 498)
A slightly random selection of Sevens spotted at Madresfield this afternoon, when the downpours actually eased off.

An illustration of the evolution of the Seven sporting front end

A Gordon England possibly attempting battery charging derived from heavy rainfall, or possibly not.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Is that your Ruby behind the Gordon England Cup?
My 1931 RN was At Madresfield. Hiding behind the 1926 Chummy.

Roly

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1931 RN, 1933 APD
David, it was indeed the Ruby of Govilon behind the Gordon England rain generator. I know that several distinguished Forumists like to use their Leicas, Hasselblads or maybe have the tripod for the Gandolfi strapped to the luggage rack, but the ability of our phones to generate images of that size is remarkable. The rain had almost stopped but it was certainly not bright. The foliage in the background around Roland's saloon is a bit blurred and the Ruby less than sharp but the pictures are really quite remarkable. Now, modern motor cars such as the 2CV have what used to be a cigarette lighter, into which to plug the charger that keeps the mobile smart phone charged up for a long day's photography or ringing home to warn of late return and request wine ready in the fridge. Is there a 6 volt version of this to install in a Seven? What do electronically savvy members do?
Check Reckless Rat's step-up device fitted for his Pllgrimage outing. It seems to be working as he is keeping us posted of his peregrination using these new-fangled speaking tubes.
I use a cigarette lighter socket fitted below the passenger seat out of sight. This works to power my sat nav and phone charging directly on 6V using the device's car lead. Sat-Nav and phone take 5.5V so the units work fine. Have been using this for years now and many thousand miles.
Jim
I think it depends on the cigar socket charger for the Sat Nav. Mine certainly wouldn't work nor the double usb socket I bought for phone charging. Strange that as you say usb only need 5 volts but neither would activate until I put 12v through them. Hence the step up box. Anyway, it works. I have a cut off switch so it isn't live when I'm not using the car so the battery doesn't drain.
I Use one of those USB powerbanks. And use the twatnav provided by Google on my Android Smartphone. No extra wiring needed.

Works ace. Even on my traction engine (which has no wires)