The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil tight Austin Seven?
Is now the time to be considering bumper stickers paraphrasing Charlton Heston? "I'll give you my starting handle when you pry it from my cold, dead hand !"
(06-10-2018, 08:38 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: It seems pointless at the moment to have an electric car when only 30% of the Uk’s energy is accomplished by renewables. Hence you charge up your 100 mile range vehicle with 70% of nasty greenhouse gas producing energy combined with nuclear (with its currently unsolvable decommissioning problems). I realise that areas of pollution in big cities are having a disastrous effect on people’s health by vehicle pollution but electric vehicles don’t address the overall issue.
Having said that, it looks as though the electric A7 owner is having fun. Pity he has used an original unadulterated A7.

30% is not bad and it will only increase as time goes by and as you said this is just a fun project.  We may get a whole new younger group interested.
Cheers

Mark
As a point of interest, Scotland produced 68.1% of it's energy from renewables last year.

Does anyone know what has happened to the lovely trim from the donor car please?
Another good reason to move to Scotland!
(08-10-2018, 12:30 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: As a point of interest, Scotland produced 68.1% of it's energy from renewables last year.

Does anyone know what has happened to the lovely trim from the donor car please?

The buyer sent me a list of the parts that he's stripped from the poor little thing.  In my opinion, everything internal except the back seat base (sprung and rexine covered) was original and eminently save-able, as was the sunroof.  These would be ideal for a sensitive restoration to "original" condition by someone who appreciates the value of these things.  It's just a tragedy that they're no longer where they should be!

"You did show some interest in the leather seats…..  Removing ALL the parts not used by the electric drive, I would like to list what I will not be using.
The ‘as fitted’ 3 bearing engine and gearbox - complete, as removed. [Video shows engine working OK]
Full exhaust from front to back - complete and assembled as removed
Radiator - but NOT the chrome cowl - This held water and seems undamaged 
Complete sliding roof, running track and rebated steelwork [seemingly OK but not catches as you know]
Leather seat COVERINGS only from the shells.
Rear Leather back seat in tact, and rear spring seat (not covered??)
Side door panels with floppy leather pockets, removed carefully but some wooden rot.
Side rear window panels - one good pattern, one rotten.
Petrol tank complete with fuel level electrics. [NB, the is being COPIED for further use]
4 Tyres, inner tubes and one oversized tyre which fits 19” wheels."
well, trying to be as optimistic as possible, at least he didn't do it on an even earlier, rarer car.

At least the body is staying with the car, which is not something which can always be said with ulsteroids...
No idea WHERE this reply should be inserted, but reading the (suggested) 'diatribe' - if the donor RP had been in better condition for £6000, I would have had a serious guilt problem. I have NO GUILT whatsoever now that the tribe has started the drums. Keep the public comments civil. So let's put the opening cards on the table....I offered MORE (sight unseen) than was being asked for because of the description in the advert. I wasn't concerned at finding Martin inside with WD40 or something being squirted into the "failed clutch". I wasn't concerned about the rotten condition. I left the car for Martin to deliver [if he could and I couldn't get a truck in time] but the winter closed in and when the RP was finally delivered, the engine had no water and leaked like a sieve because the coolant hadn't been drained during -5c frost and thus forced at least THREE serious leaks....ho hum!!. Full - and I mean DEEP - inspection, proved the RP to be a rotten wreck. So as a DONOR, it was reasonably OK - but I was concerned to retain an original look....ONWARD TO THE BODY SHOP....... NB : removing the wheels, I discover the RP had been "driven around the country lanes" with a HUGE tyre on a 19" rim and a 3.5 standard on the same back axle. [independent witness and photo's available].

Now that my plans are public - which I never intended until complete - I suggest all traditionalists and dissenters read the blog at < http://immortal-gems.co.uk > The RP could easily be restored with RENOVATED mechanical parts. Yes I have removed the non-standard 1936 engine and all the drive train and parts NOT needed to run on electric power, but I'm hardly going to waste £2500 on a bare metal restoration and many many thousands on sophisticated battery power if no thought had been put into it.

Converting this true wreck to electric (as my naive comments confess - top right para) will be a massive alteration from petrol to battery power, but for £8000+ there was/is a better RP which TRULY would be criminal to cannibalise. Electric is the future ['Liquid Piston Engines' may be even more superior] Batteries are becoming smaller and offer more storage and range. Yes the DVLA did suggest that the change-over would be OK if I wasn't "too radical".

When the renovated 5 wheels come back and the 5 new tyres fitted, I defy anyone to see anything but a 1933 RP

(09-10-2018, 10:08 AM)JonE Wrote: well, trying to be as optimistic as possible, at least he didn't do it on an even earlier, rarer car.

At least the body is staying with the car, which is not something which can always be said with ulsteroids...

IMHO - The shell looks beautiful (considering). The roof is flush with no "aluminium trim"... renovated 19" wheels, new 'Vintage' tyres... renewed leather seats.... new door and window linings... all crap lights, flashers!!! removed.... Original headlights with LED's... Copy petrol tank with batteries.... same steering wheel [different functions], same brakes [Oh god save me], same screen wipers.... no heater (yet)... same dashboard [different functions]..... 
Better to have tried and failed than never tried at all

"He" is Mike, aged 71, owned 14  A7's;  last cars - Convertible XK8, 3 Jaguars, 1 BUELL, 5 Kawasaki's
The comments above (apart from verging on libellous) are inaccurate in almost every respect.

I must however make the point that Mr Kelly inspected the car BEFORE he paid for it and his final negotiations were with the owner and not myself.

As most of the "evidence" has been destroyed, I see no point in entering into a slanging match with Mr Kelly.
excellent! Welcome, Mike!
Good honest debate all stops the forum from becoming boring... I for one am lookng forward to the first youtube video of its start up... and hope that it will get to one or two of the shows (if in range, obs :-)
You have my support at least Martin, I realise most people will duck for cover but I respect your opinion and extensive experience.
Black Art Enthusiast