The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take (/showthread.php?tid=9299)

Pages: 1 2

What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Colin Cheesman - 12-04-2024

I have a mate that has a 1920’s 4 cyl Henderson motorcycle engine converted for aircraft. It produces 38 HP @ 2550 rpm.
The engine was fully restored by his brother David.

The engine is not going into a car, it is going in a short wheel base chassis that will require a body to be built.

The question is, will an Austin 7 drive train survive the extra horsepower.

About the engine, it is an Australian conversion by Clancys, OHV. Runs in reverse to an Austin 7 engine. Plan is to run drive from front of engine via two shafts. One either side.

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Ruairidh Dunford - 12-04-2024

There is only one way to find out…

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Colin Cheesman - 12-04-2024

Thanks Ruairidh, I guess the question really is has anyone had experiences with that type of HP and were there any issues.

Thanks Colin.

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Ivor Hawkins - 12-04-2024

Absolutely fascinating! I agree with Ruairidh, just do it!

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - goodwoodweirdo - 12-04-2024

What a fabulous project... the supercharged guys run 38hp plus so can't imagine its not possible, give PIGSTY a call in the UK they build quick cars and can comment on HP etc

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Alan - 12-04-2024

It’s not the power that might kill it, it’s the torque. There will be roughly twice as much as a 38hp Austin engine running st twice the revs. That said, someone who would know once told me the seven drive train is good for 100bhp so my guess is it will be ok.

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Terry McGrath - 12-04-2024

I use an A7 Components 4.9 CWP in the back axle (no diff.) of my racing Amilcar/Riley. It delivers 80 BHP on a rolling road with no problems.

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Charles P - 12-04-2024

(12-04-2024, 01:26 PM)Alan Wrote: It’s not the power that might kill it, it’s the torque. There will be roughly twice as much as a 38hp Austin engine running st twice the revs.  That said, someone who would know once told me the seven drive train is good for 100bhp so my guess is it will be ok.

Torque and grip.
Keep narrow-ish rubber on the back and you have a torque limiting device 

C

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - Graham Barker - 12-04-2024

How do they intend to provide adequate air cooling for the engine?

RE: What horse power can an Austin 7 drive train take - falcott - 12-04-2024

The lighter the car, the less problems you'll have with the drivetrain. Add lightness wherever you can, to misquote Colin Chapman.