The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Rear hub thread - damage - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Rear hub thread - damage (/showthread.php?tid=9289)

Pages: 1 2

Rear hub thread - damage - Old Dave - 05-04-2024

As part of my refurb of the RN Box I need to remove and refresh the hubs - the off-side one was straightforward, but the near-side has a damaged thread at the start which is preventing me screwing on the hub-puller.

I have heard of people using a triangular file or a junior hacksaw to clear the way but never had the confidence to attempt it.

See photo

Do clearing die exisit to save the day?

Any advice would be appreciated.

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Chris KC - 05-04-2024

A thread chaser is what you need.

.jpg   1_cb4a972ffde20c0145a4488d65e462dc.jpg (Size: 37.39 KB / Downloads: 258)

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Andy Bennett - 05-04-2024

And I think A7 Components offer a die nut but perhaps over the top for a single use.

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - John Cornforth - 05-04-2024

Hi

I was faced with exactly this task, probably caused by someone in the past trying to use a hub puller with a damaged thread. A small sharp file was used to begin with on a small area where the damage was worst, followed by a thread restorer (as above) with the appropriate TPI pitch. Although the latter are sometimes called files, the cutting action is slightly different.

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Nick Salmon - 05-04-2024

I am sure all of us face this issue from time to time but can't justfiy the outlay for a die when it is only going to get used rarely. Without wanting to do our cherished suppliers out of any sales, might us UK-based Friends perhaps buy a die between us and post it around to each other as needed? I'd chip in. Just an idea.

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Old Dave - 05-04-2024

Sounds a sound idea Nick - I would chip in, but how would we administrate it??

The puller latches on to the thread and feels as though it might go further with a bit of persuasion. But I am not confident enough to risk further damage. The other side pulled off with little effort - probably not on tight enough.

This is the last real obsticle to getting the job finished now with just the parts in a box to rebuild, and the new spring laying on the floor ready to give me further frustration     - I can feel it!!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Steve Jones - 05-04-2024

The correct die is one of those things that you need very rarely but, when you do, is the best thing you've ever bought. Take a deep breath, buy a die (and the holder you'll need for it) and never worry about how to solve this problem ever again.

Steve

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Nick Salmon - 05-04-2024

Dave, if you use a puller it absolutely must be screwed up the full length of the hub thread. Anything short risks stripping the thread. Ask me how I know...

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - Ian Williams - 05-04-2024

A die alone will not solve the problem on many damaged threads especially if the first turn or two is where the damage is. A die tends to follow the damage at the start and then ruin the good threads further on. That said a die can be invaluable and this is my approach. First remove any obvious flattened damage and straighten threads with a needle file. Then fully expand the correct die in a holder ( made one specially for this job ) carefully start die and screw fully onto thread once there release the expansion screw and undo the die. It should now be engaged with good portions of the thread and will cut the damage away at the root. Sounds like a bit of faffing around but it works. And a note of warning, if you recut a thread with a second root due to the die following the damage it will be weakened an very likely strip if you try to remove a tight hub.

RE: Rear hub thread - damage - David Stepney - 05-04-2024

Having had a precisely similar problem with a rear hub, I have found that, If all else fails, one can remove a rear hub as follows:-

Replace the axle shaft nut so that it is flush with the end of its thread to protect it. Just swing (don’t strike) the end of the axle shaft with a sledge hammer. Let the weight of the hammer do the work. This will drive the axle shaft inwards, and the shock should release the hub’s taper.

I should mention that this is not an original idea, it was suggested in a post on this forum some time ago, and it works!