The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions (/showthread.php?tid=9037)

Pages: 1 2

Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - RupertW - 10-12-2023

Hello all, 

I'm populating the various gaps in the dashboard of my chummy project and am fitting a 0-10 type oil gauge, I think the same type as would be fitted to a box saloon etc. 

Can anyone tell me what the correct size solder nut and nipple is? I'm assuming it's the same on both the engine outlet and the pressure gauge. Similarly what is the correct diameter for the pipe itself? The Complete Automobilist lists various combinations and I'm not certain what is correct. 

In terms of soldering the nipple onto the pipe, should I be using silver solder or can I just use conventional solder? 

Any help much appreciated!

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - AustinWood - 10-12-2023

All available from the A7 suppliers, eg A7 Components.

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - RupertW - 10-12-2023

Ah thank you, managed to miss that looking through first time round so that solves the correct sizes etc., although views on the correct solder still welcome!

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Howard Wright - 11-12-2023

Hi Rupert

I think the fitting is 1/8 BSPP. I’ve used ordinary plumbers solder without problems.

Cheers

Howard

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Peter Naulls - 11-12-2023

I soft-soldered mine but it eventually let go. The resulting geyser of oil made a dreadful mess, fortunately I switched off before it did any damage. Not having any silver-soldering tools at the time I soft-soldered it back together and inserted a brass pin right through the nipple and pipe, taking care not to block it entirely.

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Chris KC - 11-12-2023

Yes I think it's 1/8" BSPP.

I'm no expert at soldering but do take care to make a sound job of it. My oil pressure gauge pipe came adrift from its lower nipple in Germany and I'd lost all but 1/2 pint of the oil before I noticed - over the space of about 1/2 mile. The resulting mess was incredible not to mention a little embarrassing. A few hundred yards further and this would have been a much longer story!

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Belinni - 11-12-2023

It's a 3/16" solder nipple on the pipe and 1/8" BSP nut, silver solder is probably the strongest. Ensure you coil the pipe a little above the engine connection, to allow some movement. Availble I think from David, Jamie and ourselves Austin7Ulster to name a few

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Steve Jones - 11-12-2023

Sizes as above. Always silver solder any oil pipe. If you've ever seen what happens when a soft soldered oil pipe joint inside the sump of such as a Meadows 4ED or Riley engine fails, you'd never do any other.

Steve

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - Dave Wortley - 12-12-2023

Another one for silver soldering. Consider the vibrations from an A7 engine, subjecting the soldered joint to lots of fatigue stress. There is very little strength in a soft-soldered joint.

RE: Oil Gauge Feed Pipe - A Few Questions - JohnD - 12-12-2023

A word of caution - if your pipe and nipples have been soft soldered previous, then silver solder will not take