The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing (/showthread.php?tid=8988)

Pages: 1 2

Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - s.earl - 13-11-2023

Could I ask for advice please? The old bearing that I removed had 2 flat sides so could have gone either way round. The replacement bearing has an upturned lip which must have a purpose and benefit. 

My thinking is that the upturned lip should face the inside of the engine and encourage oil onto the bearing but could someone confirm this or correct me please?

Many thanks,
Steve.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - David Stepney - 13-11-2023

Not having seen a bearing with a lip before, I would have thought that the lip would face the flywheel. I would surmise that it would act as a mini oil thrower.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Tony Press - 13-11-2023

Not seen a bearing cage like that before- who made it ?

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Chris KC - 13-11-2023

I'm ignorant I'm afraid, but inclined to agree with David.
What I can contribute is that the rear bearing on my Ulster was fitted that way around (i.e. larger dia toward flywheel) for very many years without dying of anything.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - David Stepney - 13-11-2023

I must admit that my experience of Seven crankshaft bearings mainly comes from the days some 40 years ago, when original type bearings were easily available. The last rear main
I fitted was to my present car almost 5 years ago, when the original Ransome and Marley’s bearing was replaced by an uncaged Hoffmann equivalent. That bearing has now done 21000 miles and is still going strong, although it has become a bit ‘rumbly’ as of late.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - s.earl - 15-11-2023

I bought the bearing through A 7 Components and a picture of the box is below. David at A7C is not sure which way round I should place it so I’m asking around.
At my local club meeting today the best advice was to place the lip inside the engine but that it probably doesn’t matter too much either way.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Chris KC - 15-11-2023

I just had a flick through NKE's catalogue but it doesn't get a mention that I can see. I suggest the shape of the cage has more to do with the manufacturing method than any intended functionality.

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Nick Turley - 16-11-2023

Those are good bearings and I cannot see that it would make any difference either way round. Smile

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Alan - 16-11-2023

I can’t see it makes any difference. It’s probably like that because the press tooling is cheaper

RE: Ruby Rear Crankshaft Bearing - Steve Jones - 16-11-2023

I've got those bearings in two of my engines. Never given a thought to which way round they go but the Ulster engine is on the bench at the moment and I can see the lip is to the front, but that's by accident rather than design.

Steve