The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon (/showthread.php?tid=855)

Pages: 1 2

Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Preece65 - 25-02-2018

Hi. 
I'm new on here and having read a few posts I know that some people don't like links to ebay but we have our family Austin 7 (well one of them - there are others) for sale. This one has a huge amount of family history and even if you're not looking to buy, you may like to have a read through the description.  It'll be sad to see it go but needs must unfortunately. It's a beautiful car. 
Regards. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332556194957?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - John Bonnett - 25-02-2018

Ebay is not a good place to sell a quality car like yours and my advice would be to pull it off the auction right now. It would be tragic to let it go for the kind of figure it is standing at now. Cars & Classics is a far better site, has great coverage and there are no fees. 

regards

John

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Martin Prior - 25-02-2018

(25-02-2018, 10:23 AM)John Bonnett Wrote: Ebay is not a good place to sell a quality car like yours and my advice would be to pull it off the auction right now. It would be tragic to let it go for the kind of figure it is standing at now. Cars & Classics is a far better site, has great coverage and there are no fees. 

regards

John

I'd agree with John, having used Car and Classic for the first time recently.

A slower process than Ebay, but it gives you time to get to know potential buyers and hopefully weed out the timewasters.   Our sale took about four weeks, but we ended up getting a far better price than I'd expected with, of course, no fees.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Edgar Lowe - 25-02-2018

True in principle but I will keep it on eBay but change it from bidding auction to fixed price with an offer. No harm in putting it also in Cars and Classics it will attract different buyers . Serious buyers will always view the car.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Nick Turley - 25-02-2018

(25-02-2018, 09:16 AM)Preece65 Wrote: Hi. 
I'm new on here and having read a few posts I know that some people don't like links to ebay but we have our family Austin 7 (well one of them - there are others) for sale. This one has a huge amount of family history and even if you're not looking to buy, you may like to have a read through the description.  It'll be sad to see it go but needs must unfortunately. It's a beautiful car. 
Regards. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332556194957?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Looks a nice car, lovely history. A great model of Seven.

Good luck with the sale.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Tony Betts - 25-02-2018

I had a look at the car on ebay yesterday, looks a lovely buy for someone.

Selling on eBay can be good and bad.

People only list for a week, if it sells people will be forever telling you, you sold it to cheap? If it doesn't sell, then everyone ask what's wrong with it?

You don't tend to get the same attitude on car and classic.

Common models seam to struggle on eBay, as the bargain buyers what things cheaper. It pulls the price down. Probably best to put them on car and classic.

I noticed at one point last year there were 6 chummys on eBay, when there's to many there condition all gets tared with the same price. And prices were dragged down from £15k to £10k to £12k

Rearer car on eBay tend to fear better, it may be a good place for you to sell. But part finished cars can get pulled back on price.

There was a nice top hat in H & H last year, bidding only got to £8.5k needless to say it was unsold.

I've listed quite a few customers cars on my website for free for them with good results. Again it's a slower way to sell, but buyers then get more time to view, and apreciate why they are paying more for good quality cars, and less for the run of the mill.

The forum threads have pointed out many times the negatives of buying on eBay without having time to view.

Good luck with the sale Tony.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Jeff Taylor - 25-02-2018

Those of us who had been members of the old ASF forum for a considerable number of years will no doubt remember the late Derek Preece, a once regular forum contributor. Given the OP's name and the cars location, I presume this must be part of Derek's former collection of Sevens and other vintage vehicles - so it's fair to say it comes with great provenance.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - John Bonnett - 25-02-2018

Even more reason not to give it away.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Preece65 - 25-02-2018

(25-02-2018, 04:39 PM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Those of us who had been members of the old ASF forum for a considerable number of years will no doubt remember the late Derek Preece, a once regular forum contributor. Given the OP's name and the cars location, I presume this must be part of Derek's former collection of Sevens and other vintage vehicles - so it's fair to say it comes with great provenance.

Hi Jeff. 
Always good to hear from people who remember my Father. This is indeed from his collection. Very sad to see it go but needs must.
Regards, David.

RE: Austin 7 Top Hat Saloon - Jeff Taylor - 25-02-2018

Hi David,
I remember sending your father a PM / email regarding your surname - it's quite a rare name, in 1999 there were only 57,000 in the UK. The surname Preece also forms part of my family history and I was interested to hear if your father had done any family history research, but it seemed he hadn't. The name's particularly associated with the Welsh border counties of England as Preece is essentially a Welsh name - apparently. I've traced my Herefordshire ancestors back to living within a few mile of the Welsh border at sometime in the late 1700's - but I'd need to spend some time down there to have any hope of getting any further back in the family history.

As a Morris Register member and 1936 Morris Eight Tourer owner, I seem to recall your father also owned a vintage Morris truck? - as his name cropped up in Morris circles on occasion. I'm also a life long railway enthusiast and I believe he also had long standing connections there - he certainly achieved a lot in his life.

Hope your father's car finds a good appreciative home, best of luck with the sale.
Regards, Jeff.