The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Whats the real worth of a swb axle (/showthread.php?tid=6781)

Pages: 1 2 3

Whats the real worth of a swb axle - goodwoodweirdo - 26-10-2021

Good morning chaps,

had a interesting chat with a fellow austin owner the other day who said swb axles sell for upto €1000 so of course got me thinking, but maybe he's right as I haven't found anything for sale...

so basically we're heading to a point where cars will be broken as the parts are so valuable or are they just stashed away in peoples sheds...

cheers
Matt

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Chris KC - 26-10-2021

There's axles and there's axles Matt. I suspect what your friend meant was that IF you choose to replace all the bearings and invest in a new crown wheel and pinion and possibly pay someone to build it for you etc etc you can easily spend a thousand quid or as much as you like really. Unfortunately the greedy and ill-informed take this to mean that ALL A7 axles are worth £1000+ irrespective of completeness or condition, hence ludicrous offerings from spivs on eBay.

p.s. People have been breaking cars for parts almost since cars were invented! And yes indeed owners do very wisely stash parts away.

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Stuart Giles - 26-10-2021

The 30-31 SWB rear axles are the ones which tend to be sought after, not least because the later lower ratio roller bearing style CW & P sets are pretty much a 'drop in' so along with the relative rarity of these axles, the prices seem to be high.

I think that the complete one I saw in the red field at the September Beaulieu Autojumble had an asking price which was in in the £1000 region.

Last one I bought was approx £200 and it wasn't that long ago...

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - goodwoodweirdo - 26-10-2021

so certainly some truth ... is it the 30-31 which the racers look for ? would make sense..

and like everything, rebuilt means different things to different people and can see very easily how the cost will mount up..

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Howard Wright - 26-10-2021

Hi

I’ve just rebuilt a SWB axle. I’m afraid I did it the hard way….

I bought a trailer that had a 32 banjo axle, found it had no torque tube. Bought a torque tube, shortened the axle tubes, had a 5.25 CW&P in the shed, new bearings all round, new back plates, the rest I had in the shed.  About £500 in total. 

However without parts I already had AND including my time it would shift that figure well above £1k  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Tony Betts - 26-10-2021

as a second hand austin 7 parts seller for 30 years.

depending on were you look for your parts, yes you can easily pay 1,000 pounds.

DEPENDING ON WERE YOU SHOP.

but im not pointing out anything that isnt already known by ALL forum members.

when someone is selling ANY ANY ANY rear axle. if the condition of the internals has been checked. and you need it, then yes why not pay the seller £1,000 for a 1931 rear axle with 5.25 cwp to go racing.

were the idiots a million go wrong, is when a seller says to you. YOU ARE BUYING IT IN THE SAME CONDITION AS I DID. so its unchecked, its probably got a tooth missing on the pinion, and 2 cracked halfshafts. so it will cost you the same £1,000 again to put it right.

i hear alot of people saying a set of 1931 axle cassing are £300 +

so if someone offers you that axle at £1,000 unchecked. without garrentees. offer them £400 or ASK FOR garrantees at a £1,000

or just walk away.

today, we have to remember our austin 7 parts are on average 90 years old. so CONDITION IS KEY. if its the best condition you want. its worth paying more. buy from the better suppliers and they will check the condition of parts before you buy, and offer refunds if they get it wrong.

my main problem as a used parts supplier, is the GOOD stuff just doesnt get offered anymore? so the stelves of good condition parts are quickly empying out.

tony.

ps, if you think someone is hording a barn full of 1931 rear axles.and will one day sell them all at £20 each. dream on. 90 years these parts have been bought from sheds. they are GONE. thats why big prices are asked for whats left.

and yes why not break cars, if those £20k cars cant be sold for sensible money. why not break them and get £30k in bits. as thats how most people seam to want to buy there austin 7s. (in smaller cheaper parts).

its your market place.

Spot on Tony, and if knackered old axles are being offered for sale at £1000 I can see why people would hang on to what they've got rather than passing stuff on to others.

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - Alan - 26-10-2021

The thing is, the axle at the back of someone’s shed was probably taken off a car because it was knackered or rescued from a totally knackered car. It almost certainly needs rebuilding. Value accordingly.

RE: Whats the real worth of a swb axle - goodwoodweirdo - 26-10-2021

Well thanks for all the comments, I'm rather new to the seven scene and like a fool bought a project... every now and again I'm surprised at the prices of certain parts... BS starter motors, instrument switch panels, speedo's, rebuilt wheels etc all spring to mind.........

so my next question, whats the single most valuable part ? excluding a complete body or V5 :-)

30-31 axle seems to be right up there...