The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Toe in - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Toe in (/showthread.php?tid=6217)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Toe in - peterlikeman@gmail.com - 07-06-2021

I have got terrible wear on the outside edges of my front tyres. Nicholson's book says that this is regular and suggests that the wheels should be exchanged with the rear wheels but the wear I have got is too much, especially on the offside wheel. Already adjusted the track using a bamboo stick but what ideally should be the toe in.

RE: Toe in - David Stepney - 07-06-2021

The toe adjustment on a box saloon is pretty crude. The recommended way is to slacken the clamping bolt on the nearside track rod end, remove the nearside steering arm from the stub axle and turn the track rod end and steering arm assembly through one complete revolution and then refit. Screwing the track rod end in increases toe out and screwing it out increases toe in. Anywhere between parallel and 1/8th inch toe in should be ok. Sevens have quite a lot of positive camber on the front axle and, on modern, less cambered roads, this tends to wear the out edge of the tyre also.

RE: Toe in - Mike Costigan - 07-06-2021

If you are getting greater wear on one side, this suggests either a worn kingpin or bent front axle.

RE: Toe in - Hedd_Jones - 07-06-2021

Just doing the same on the RP here. Same problem. It wears the tyres tapered. 

I found the track rod was adjusted all the way in, right to the end of adjustment. I know for a fact father just swapped the trackrod straight off one axle onto another without any adjustment,so my assumption is its incorrect. The car very occasionally gets a wobble on the front end when going very slow also. Another sign something isnt right. 

I have loosened everything off, done some engineering to get another 1/4inch of adjustment in. And refitted. I have also replaced the tyres. 

Next job is to set the toe in. Ill clamp a couple of bits of wood on the outside of the tyres and take it from there. Im not taking the axle off to do it off the car

RE: Toe in - Charles P - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 06:17 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Next job is to set the toe in. Ill clamp a couple of bits of wood on the outside of the tyres and take it from there. Im not taking the axle off to do it off the car

You mean like this. 
I made them rest on the rims, but same idea. 
You can just see the felt marking on the projecting wood to allow for some trigonometry

I had to cut some extra thread to get the right toe in. 
2" of toe in did make it handle rather like a hovercraft

c

RE: Toe in - Steve Jones - 07-06-2021

I've used one of these for over 20 years https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/gunson-g4008-trakrite-wheel-alignment-gauge/

Simple to use and I've never had any problems with abnormal tyre wear once the tracking's set but that can sometimes involve some increase or decrease in the length of thread on the track rod. I have to confess for not paying for mine, however, as I inherited it from a former next door neighbour Smile

Steve

RE: Toe in - GK5268 - 07-06-2021

I second Gunsons Trakrite, simple to use and you know it is right!

RE: Toe in - Charles P - 07-06-2021

I'd use one if I had one, but clearly never had the right neighbours

C

RE: Toe in - Steve Jones - 07-06-2021

Actually, Charles, the wrong neighbours - but I did end up with his Trakrite Wink

Steve

RE: Toe in - Hedd_Jones - 07-06-2021

(07-06-2021, 06:29 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(07-06-2021, 06:17 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: Next job is to set the toe in. Ill clamp a couple of bits of wood on the outside of the tyres and take it from there. Im not taking the axle off to do it off the car

You mean like this. 
I made them rest on the rims, but same idea. 
You can just see the felt marking on the projecting wood to allow for some trigonometry

I had to cut some extra thread to get the right toe in. 
2" of toe in did make it handle rather like a hovercraft

c

Exactumundo like that. 

I've done some painting on the roller on my return from Essex, so didn't want to move the Fordson out of the way to construct something on the front of the RP.

I am hoping that I dont need to cut any more thread, I've got a good 1/4 extra by other means but we shall see.