The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Advice to Remove Dynamo - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Advice to Remove Dynamo (/showthread.php?tid=6080)

Pages: 1 2

Advice to Remove Dynamo - Graham Barker - 06-05-2021

I have not been able to find a description for removing the dynamo on my late 1937 Ruby. The descriptions that I have come across refer to removal of three long bolts, but my dynamo does not appear to have have three. I have removed the short top bolt and the dynamo can be moved up and down a little but does not want to come out.
There are two screw heads top and bottom of the dynamo outer end. Very difficult to access with a screwdriver within the confines of the engine compartment. 
The markings on the dynamo appear to indicate that it is a C35A.
I would appreciate advice on removal of the dynamo.

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - David Grear - 07-05-2021

There are two bolts that bolt the Dynamo to the Aluminium casting that go in from the passemger side of the vehicle.
They are 1/4 BSF you will need a 3/16 whitworth socket to access them a 3/8 drive set is recommended.
The bolts may have screw driver slots cut in them at some time so they are removable with a flat screw driver.
There is also a long bolt that goes down the back of the aluminium casting this has to be removed on some generators before removal.

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Dave Mann - 07-05-2021

The photo shows the two bolts David refers to.

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Graham Barker - 07-05-2021

Thanks David and David.  Exactly what I needed. I can see the two horizontal bolts and a vertical on my Ruby. Can get cracking now.

I am intrigued by the apparatus on the drive end of the dynamo in David Mann's photo. What are you setting up to do?

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Bob Culver - 07-05-2021

Some time ago someone published a sketch of the detail assembly of a 35A or/and M. May be usefully repeated. Often what you find is not correct. I think the 35A is in Woodrow for those wealthy who possess.

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Dave Mann - 07-05-2021

.jpg   Photo 14 Dynamo drive end bearing.jpg (Size: 37.65 KB / Downloads: 464)         This is my set up for bench testing dynamos, it also shows the filed mod to the bearing housings so the dynamo can be withdrawn without having to remove the long dynamo drive housing stud/bolt. The second drawing shows an unmodified housing which requires the removal of the  long dynamo drive housing stud/bolt.

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Parazine - 07-05-2021

I use a similar rig. You need to have a bulb or something connected so that you can be sure that the dynamo is delivering amps as well as volts (i.e. power).

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Bob Culver - 08-05-2021

About the time Dave first published his sketch someone also made available a diagram of a 35A more comprehensive than the one in Woodrow. It was headed Illustration NG.
Whoever supplied it , would complete if it could be repeated please. (Or a reference to the origianl post)

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Colin Cooke - 08-05-2021

Hi Graham,

Returning to the original question......

As said earlier, the long boat must be removed, as there is a recess in the dynamo that 'contains' the long bolt. This bolt is near to the block core plug (as shown in your picture). Unfortuntely, this appears to be a stud and nut on your car. If this is the case, and the stud doesn't come out when you loosen the nut, I believe you will have to remove the whole aluminium housing and fan assy. Make sure that you support the weight of the dynamo when loosening the 4 fixings. Once undone, with the fan belt removed, the whole assembly will lift straight off. Another unfortunately...The fixing behind the fan pulley can be very difficult to get to, with the radiator on.

Hopefully someone will provide tips to make this an easier job than I've made it sound.

All the best,
Colin

RE: Advice to Remove Dynamo - Graham Barker - 08-05-2021

Hi Colin, 
You have a good eye for detail. Yes, what should have been a vertical bolt, does appear to be a stud. Will be miraculous if I can get it out without a major dismantling. It will be Monday's project.