The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
wiper wonder - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: wiper wonder (/showthread.php?tid=6078)

Pages: 1 2

wiper wonder - Vancevr - 06-05-2021

i was wondering what a 29 vacuum wiper is supposed to look like.  i know mine doesn't look correct because it isnt being held to the windshield. if some people can help me know how it is held on there. i read on another thread that the spring on the arm does something but i don't remember what it does. if you can add pictures or descriptions to help me out. P.S if you are looking for a way to lube the inside of the mechanism use ATF just put some in a cup and work the arm back and fourth works like a dream!!

RE: wiper wonder - Dave Mann - 07-05-2021

The two mounting screws are either side of the drive spindle.

RE: wiper wonder - Parazine - 07-05-2021

I think that's a 30G, ex Box Saloon Dave? The wiper on my 1929 RK, believed to be original is subtly different:

.jpg   DSC_1071s.JPG (Size: 28.86 KB / Downloads: 436)

This is the Trico or Trico-Folberth type. The picture is of a similar one i put on my 1927 Chummy, believing it to be correct but I have since found that the early wipers (1926/7) were different again.

Or is it another case of Austin fitting whatever they could get at the right price??

The 30G was billed as an improvement when introduced in 1931 or 32 as it featured a park facility to stop the arm and blade dangling in front of the drivers vision.

Re: fitting the arm, see here:

Lucas Instructions For Fitting and Maintenance of Windscreen Wiper 30G.pdf (da7c.co.uk)

It's usually easier to fit a later pattern arm (with adapter if necessary) than faf around with bits of bent wire and springs  Wink

Here's another variant however I think they all had the same mounting method.

Yep, that's the earlier version, 1926/7. I don't know when and if the change was made to Trico/Folberth or whether they ran concurrently.

This shows the mounting bolts.

RE: wiper wonder - Vancevr - 07-05-2021

mine does not look like those. from what i just read my car has the Trico 'd' type vacuum wiper. and the thread said that a few dealers might have installed them? can you peeps alliterate on that for me. i dont know how long that has been on there or if it is original (which i doubt it is.)

You'd better put a picture of your wiper up.....

RE: wiper wonder - Chris Garner - 07-05-2021

I believe the Trico D was fitted as standard to earlier cars than '29.

RE: wiper wonder - Vancevr - 09-05-2021

This is the wiper.
[attachment=13881]
[attachment=13882]
[attachment=13883]