Austinsevenfriends
zenith carb filter - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: zenith carb filter (/showthread.php?tid=6034)

zenith carb filter - Vancevr - 28-04-2021

I was wondering if a 1929 chummy would have come with a air cleaner/filter? I don't know if it needs one because my 21' model t doesn't have one. I would like to keep it original and don't want to put something on that doesn't look right. I live in America and we don't have many unpaved country roads well at least in California. do I even need one for shows or the fun time cruise?

RE: zenith carb filter - Howard Wright - 28-04-2021

Hi Vancevr 

If your car was exported from new then it may well have had a filter.  My car was exported to Sweden from new and has a small extension to the carb intake with an internal butterfly choke flap.  I think there has been several threads regarding the shape and makeup of the actual filter.

Cheers

Howard

RE: zenith carb filter - Chris KC - 28-04-2021

All I can really say is I've run without a filter for years without any disastrous effects; generally in the UK or Europe though where I wouldn't rate conditions as severe. 

There is a much greater risk I think, on downdraught carbs at least, from small objects (e.g. dropped nuts and bolts) falling into an open intake during maintenance.

RE: zenith carb filter - Tony Griffiths - 29-04-2021

(28-04-2021, 09:32 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Vancevr 

If your car was exported from new then it may well have had a filter.  My car was exported to Sweden from new and has a small extension to the carb intake with an internal butterfly choke flap.  I think there has been several threads regarding the shape and makeup of the actual filter.

Cheers

Howard
Howard, might you have some more close-up pictures showing the filter in greater detail?

RE: zenith carb filter - Howard Wright - 29-04-2021

Hi Tony

I’ll get the car out and take one today. For some reason I can’t find any close ups!

Cheers

Howard

Hi Tony

Just for you! I’ve braved the morning frost.

The “filter” attached to the carb is home made and has no filter material in it. I tried various materials wire mesh, foam but all seem to strangle the carb so the filter is just for show.

Cheers

Howard

RE: zenith carb filter - Tony Griffiths - 29-04-2021

Thanks - I was just wondering what it looked like in the flesh. I suppose if we were all doing 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year - as we did in the 1960s and early 1970s - an air-cleaner might be a good idea. Today with just a few thousand more common, I suppose the need does not really arise. Our grandchildren can pay for the rebore...

RE: zenith carb filter - Bob Culver - 29-04-2021

It always intrigues me that vintage cars made no attempt whatever to avoid dust intake. Here in 1929 a mere 3 1/2% of total roads were sealed, and nearly all in urban areas. fully 1/3 were unmetalled. It was not a backward motoring country but registrations per 100 persons second only to North America and far above UK. Traffic less and speeds lower so less clouds encountered. But rebores at 30,000 were not uncommon.
Incidentally we epxerience and judge vintage cars in circumsatnces very untypical of their time.