The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Supercharged Ulster - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Supercharged Ulster (/showthread.php?tid=5737)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Tony Betts - 02-03-2021

I understand we can make copies, I've got enough patterns for that.

But what are we saving the original for?

If it's never going to be used, then it can as easily be saved as a non runner after it's been blown up.

If we are saving them because they are valuable? Then they are worth less than a standard engine, because value wise. If it works, but will NEVER be run again. It's as worthless as a blown up engine that can NEVER be run again.

If the collective thought, is that we shouldn't use rear things?

Then it shows why we have less and less people coming into this hobby each year.

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Chris Garner - 02-03-2021

(02-03-2021, 02:36 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 08:29 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: The Chassis Register entry for JF 322 makes interesting reading.

Steve

(02-03-2021, 12:54 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: dave, i never could get my head around not useing sports engines for fear of damaging them.
a standard engine is no different to a sports. it could cost £5k for a rebuild if you blow a standard engine up. but nobody is scared of useing them.
As a good friend once discovered, motoring along gently in his original-engined Nippy, that a blowup can result not just in minor damage but a road scattered with unrepairable, smashed-into small-pieces mechanical marmalade. Now if, you have the cash to create an exact replica engine....what's 6000 r.p.m between friends ..... and your bank account.

Perhaps I'm tempting fate in saying this, but I am running my 65 on it's original crank and rods...

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Ivor Hawkins - 02-03-2021

If you are not going to drive a blown EA sports, what’s the point in having it?

Frazer Nash owners drive and race their cars, even the very rare ones...

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Alan - 02-03-2021

I’ve raced, trialled and hill climbed old cars all my life. It’s never occurred to me that they are valuable - possibly because when I started, they weren’t particularly. However I’d rather my engine blew up or the car was damaged doing what it was supposed to do than moulder away because it shouldn’t be used. That car tempts me. But, what do I need an original Ulster for? Everyone will think it’s a replica.

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Charles P - 02-03-2021

If you have an original engine put modern steel internals in and use enthusiastically. Don't mothball it.

RE: Supercharged Ulster - AustinWood - 02-03-2021

I believe Austin Seven engines are at their most vulnerable at fairly low revs.
The only crank I've ever broken happened at 30mph driving gently. The crankcase split horizontally from end to end. The block was OK very little else survived.

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Malcolm Parker - 02-03-2021

A friend of mine has an Ulster rep which he used to race and hill climb extensively, with some success. He would change up a gear at about 6000 rpm, when smoke appeared under the dash, beyond valve bounce.  It had a standard crank and rods.  In the end nothing broke, it just lost the will to live.  Fitted with a 4 speed C/R box , changing from 3rd to top at 60 mph was a moving experience as a passenger!

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Zetomagneto - 02-03-2021

Most sensible words by Charles P. If I had a genuine sports crankcase I would not consider running it at all without first replacing the crank and rods. I would however want to use the sports engine , so if I bought this Ulster it would get an engine rebuild inc crank and rods to ensure it’s longevity and reliability.
Mention of Frazer Nash, I bet none of them have original engine internals.
Tony, it’s good that you do castings, but surely they are for people who don’t have an original engine.

A new crank and rods alone won’t necessarily save a blow up, the block retention also need to be addressed.

RE: Supercharged Ulster - dickie65 - 02-03-2021

I am currently working on an engine for my EB 65
I have all the original parts apart from the Carb.
It will be giving a home to one of the Hadley Cranks fom Tony B.
It took some soul searching before I cut the back of an original crankcase to allow the Hadley into its new home. The crankcase already had been Rodified in the past but had a good crank and three good rods in it and one rod which had been welded up ( Quite a lot heavier than the others ) I snatched a set of original rods from Tony B to make a decent set up just to keep an original crank and rods together.
The sand cast crankcase I have is in excellent condition apart from extra breather hole in the side the deck is lot thicker than the die cast one.
I will be converting the case to full pressure fed spec.
Unfortunately my wife might notice if I extended the house mortgage to add the Ulster to the toy shed. I will have to buy a Lottery Ticket or two instead.
I do hope the car ends up with a proper driver not a shiner !!

RE: Supercharged Ulster - Chris.Dallas - 02-03-2021

Our Ulster has a standard wheel pics show this was fitted in period so Agee!