The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 (/showthread.php?tid=5705)

Pages: 1 2

New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - pshep_66 - 22-02-2021

I'm in the process of buying a 1933 Austin 7 which has had a total rebuild. I plan to send it to Australia as a present for my mother's 80'th birthday in May. A beautiful looking car. However, the shipper has raised the issue of asbestos. If there are issues of asbestos, where should i find the issues?

Peter S

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Malcolm Parker - 22-02-2021

I don't think you need worry about any asbestos issues.  Originally the clutch and brake linings would have contained asbestos but if the car has been restored since the early 1980's any replacement linings should be free of ACM's (asbestos containing materials).

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Hugh Barnes - 22-02-2021

One other thing that you may need to check on is the situation regarding the wooden body frame. As I recall it, that has been a restriction in the past, but rules may have changed... It would be terrible to find out at the last minute...

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Jeff Taylor - 22-02-2021

Another item to check - many 1930's Lucas Cut-Out units, for example the Lucas CFR2 on my 1936 Morris 8 had a small sheet approx 80mm x 45mm x 1mm of asbestos at the back of the unit where it bolts to the bulkhead. I'm missing the Cut-Out unit for my dismantled 1934 A7 Van so I'm not sure if the correct unit for a 1933 A7 has the asbestos sheet, but if it has it's unlikely to have been removed or replaced with a substitute material - perhaps others can confirm.

I'd imagine the wooden body frame issue that Hugh mentions will be reference to any insects or bugs that may be living in the wood. I believe Australia are particularly keen on stopping the importation of such creatures however small.

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Steve Jones - 22-02-2021

It will also have to be cleaned to within an inch of it's life. Any dirt, soil or similar organic matter will need to be removed and, on arrival, the authorities look very, very carefully. I have a friend who went to live in Australia and took his A7 Ulster with him. Among other things, the car had done used for VSCC trialling and the cleaning operation before departure took many, many weeks.

Steve

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Nick Salmon - 22-02-2021

If it all gets to be too much hassle, send me the car and I will send your mum a nice bunch of flowers and some chocolates... [Image: wink.png]

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - JonE - 22-02-2021

did you consider trying to find one already in Aus?

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Martin Prior - 22-02-2021

Have you looked at sourcing a car already in Australia? There are plenty of Australian members on this group and also on the Facebook "Austin Seven" group who I'm sure would be happy to help.

The comments about cleaning are very sensible. With regard to the woodwork, you may need to provide certified evidence of fumigation using approved methods and materials and evidence of the origin of any new timber. I believe that there are prohibitions on the import of Far-Eastern plywood, which would almost certainly have been used for any new door or quarter cards. Beware!

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - Bruce Nicholls - 22-02-2021

Don't vehicles entering Australia have to be steam cleaned on their undersides to within an inch of their lives?

RE: New purchaser of a 1933 Austin 7 - bob46320 - 22-02-2021

I looked at sending a 1962 2CV to Oz. You need an import agent who understands importing old cars and its expensive. When I looked into doing it, I would have had to supply supplier certification for brake shoes, clutch etc showing lack of asbestos - Laugh, my sons house is constructed of sheet asbestos, painted to protect flaking etc etc like many 1950 houses. If you need to cut a hole for drainage pipes etc, you have to get a certified hole cutting team in.
He had a problem with his house electrics. First thing sparked did on arrival was check the distribution box. If it were the old style with asbestos mounting board, the house would have been cut off from the supply until said asbestos team had removed the whole distibution board. VERY strict.