The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: RP Windscreen wiper assembly (/showthread.php?tid=557)

Pages: 1 2

RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Nick Salmon - 14-12-2017

Bit of guidance please.

The windscreen wiper assembly for the RP arrived with me in its component pieces and with a spacer C fractured in half. Repair done and motor tested I am now ready to put it into the car. To save a lot of faff could someone please give me the correct order of assembly using the letters on this image. Taeverso.

.jpg   IMG_20171214_171133.jpg (Size: 138.16 KB / Downloads: 384)

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Reckless Rat - 14-12-2017

My RP has a later Lucas DW3 wiper motor, but if it's any help all the assembly is on the inside of the screen apart from the mounting nuts & washers. I presume this is what you're looking for:

[Image: 8307_01.jpg]

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Nick Salmon - 16-12-2017

Thanks Reckless. What about bracket D? Any idea?

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Reckless Rat - 16-12-2017

Can't help you there. I don't think mine has one. It looks like it's intended as something to prevent a spacer from being crushed?

Yes, I think so too. I have just been out to trial fit the thing and the plot thickens -

The wiper motor fixing holes in the top windscreen rail are obscured by the top of the lip of the windcreen aperture when the windscreen is shut. There's no way the motor will fit as the spindle and screw threads will prevent the screen closing properly. I'm going to have to have a look at someone else's car to figure this one out.

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Mike Costigan - 16-12-2017

I'm pretty sure 'Bracket D' goes on the outside of the windscreen; the two tabs prevent the wiper arm from being turned too far when parking the switch.

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Mike Costigan - 16-12-2017

(16-12-2017, 11:51 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Yes, I think so too. I have just been out to trial fit the thing and the plot thickens -

The wiper motor fixing holes in the top windscreen rail are obscured by the top of the lip of the windcreen aperture when the windscreen is shut. There's no way the motor will fit as the spindle and screw threads will prevent the screen closing properly. I'm going to have to have a look at someone else's car to figure this one out.

I don't think the RP was ever fitted with an electric wiper; the vacuum wiper is a much slimmer unit fitted by set screws rather than studs, so fitting a Ruby unit will require some ingenuity.

I am pretty sure you are correct Mike. There is a take off on the manifold that has been blocked so I guess that is for the vacuum unit. However I still don't see how the unit fits with the aperture lip in the way. I have a mate with a Box and vacuum wiper so shall investigate.

RE: RP Windscreen wiper assembly - Reckless Rat - 16-12-2017

I'll go and have a look at mine and post some photos for you. It's definitely a later (but period) addition because there's a cut out in the windscreen opening to allow for the vacuum motor. Watch this space...

First a picture of the DW3 from the inside of the car:

[Image: 20171216_134505.jpg]

Then with the windscreen open:

[Image: 20171216_134541.jpg]

Then the outside of the frame:

[Image: 20171216_134355.jpg]

I think the part 'E' goes between the motor assembly and the frame, to seal it.

Aha! Thanks for the photos. The modification is what I am missing. I feel a grinding moment coming on...