The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Timing cam in situ - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Timing cam in situ (/showthread.php?tid=5521)

Pages: 1 2

Timing cam in situ - tomcotez - 13-01-2021

Is it possible to time a new cam with the crankcase already in the chassis? It looks possibly to fit a smallish timing wheel on the crank gear at the front. The reason for this is that I am waiting for a cam to arrive and could get on and bolt other bits together, set up clutch etc without losing too much time. Is there a minimum diameter for an accurate timing wheel?

RE: Timing cam in situ - Zetomagneto - 13-01-2021

Bigger timing wheel is more accurate, worth the wait I would say. Do you have an adjustable cam gear, if not how do you propose getting it spot on.
All easier on the bench.

RE: Timing cam in situ - Ncoates - 14-01-2021

why not rebuild the gearbox or back axle whilst you're waiting.... Big Grin Wink

RE: Timing cam in situ - tomcotez - 14-01-2021

not sure I'd still be married after that. I'm already in trouble for putting degreaser down the sink and heating up flywheel in the oven...

I have a stepped key, was going to play with that on the cam or crank gear, but may have to get an adjustable gear if that doesn't work.

RE: Timing cam in situ - Charles P - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 12:12 PM)tomcotez Wrote: not sure I'd still be married after that. I'm already in trouble for putting degreaser down the sink and heating up flywheel in the oven...

I heat treated a silver silver steel cutter on the shelf below a pizza last week.
However the flywheel ring gear was done when I knew that I wouldn't be disturbed/discovered.

c

RE: Timing cam in situ - Hedd_Jones - 14-01-2021

I work on the principle that I paid for and installed the cooker/dishwasher/freezer/fridge so I'll do whatever I like with them.

Last night I had a Halfords ratchet spanner warming gently on the gas, I've just bought it in a set and it appears that it had been put away damp and was stuck. A little heat and a bolt in the vice and it came free quite easily. No heat and plus gas had no effect.

RE: Timing cam in situ - Reckless Rat - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 04:07 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: I work on the principle that I paid for and installed the cooker/dishwasher/freezer/fridge so I'll do whatever I like with them.

To take a line from the film "Ben Hur".... - Bravely spoken!

RE: Timing cam in situ - Renaud - 14-01-2021

Yes, but try that line on my wife...

All those interesting marital considerations won't much help Tom to time his camshaft though!

RE: Timing cam in situ - tomcotez - 14-01-2021

Pie wheel

RE: Timing cam in situ - Charles P - 14-01-2021

(14-01-2021, 07:02 PM)tomcotez Wrote: Pie wheel

Is that to try and bolt it on whilst still hot?

What torque did you use?

c