The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 203 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback

Austinsevenfriends
Highland Sports Coupe project... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Highland Sports Coupe project... (/showthread.php?tid=4964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Nick Lettington - 23-06-2022

(23-06-2022, 01:33 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote:
(23-06-2022, 11:35 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: It looks a lot like like my late wife's grandfather's AC invalid carriage...

The blue one Ruairidh... obviously.

Funny you should say that, Nick.  When it arrived  in 2007 my next door neighbour, a chap who worked at GCHQ, asked me if it was an invalid carriage.   I always referred to it as the 'Invalid Carriage'.  Underneath it was a 1929 chassis with later engine and rear axle.   The whole thing has now been recycled.  Unfortunately the original number plate could not be retrieved, despite the original factory chassis and Car No. plates being in place on the bulkhead.
It remains an outstanding example of the Coachbuilders craft.
I'm just glad it's not on eBay being flogged as a Speedex

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - David Stepney - 23-06-2022

"P.S David, never take the starting handle off the shaft on an engine you intend to run in that state. The shaft will catch the dog on the crank."

Thank you for that, Hedd. I've never tried to run my engine without the starting handle in place and now I know why I shouldn't! it also explains why Ruairidh used the mole grips as (presumably) a temporary measure.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - AustinWood - 23-06-2022

It's OK with an early coil engine. The spring that keeps the dog clear bears on a ring on the shaft itself, not the handle.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Ruairidh Dunford - 23-06-2022

Posh? How utterly splendid.

Thanks for all the other comments on this - we have tried to style the car around about 1931, not simply along Austin's lines at that time, but cars (we liked) of that time.

The Chassis and running gear are late 1930s and Peter is to be applauded in designing something that fits that brief on a late chassis and axles. It takes some creative mind to take 2D sketches and put them into full scale 3D, and get it right.

It is not pretending to be anything, it is what it is and little will change in our hands on the design and spec. front. What the new owner does from here on in is their choice. Fittings have been chosen to suit the style that has been "created", we looked at different door handles but the ones fitted looked better on the longer body line, we looked at bonnet catches but they made the car look too modern and we bought very expensive 1930's dials that did not suit the wooden dash we chose to fit, so used the simpler ones instead.

The car handles well and it is incredibly warm to drive, the long bonnet is quite something to look out over.

We hope that those who view it, first hand, will appreciate the quality and thought that has gone into the bodywork, and yes, that comes at a price - it is hand made from scratch.

This is a venture into being creative, seeing where that takes us and enjoying life, it is not about pricing or profit.

We like it, we have loved building it, we are looking forward to driving it in the Highlands and we hope it brings a smile to your face.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Tony Betts - 23-06-2022

hi R,

its truely a stunning car, and well done to you both.

when you build something you can only build the car you want to see when finished, what you both have acheived is what most miss. and thats the quality of build. that really shins through.

others opinion are valid, as they are only personal preferences, and we will all have different ones. i didnt like to add this earlier. as i didnt want to risk an arguement over personal preference. but the bonnet straps will only look wrong to some at this moment in time, because they are new. my own supersports as you know is black. it has brown straps. but after 35 years they are increadably well suited to the car. and the wings, im not a pointed wing person myself. but my first thought was they are very well suited to the car. because it adds to that coach built look. and austin 7 coach builders have been fitting pointed wings from swallow to cambridge. i guess the handles are a nod back to the cars origins.

one thing nobody will dispute is the quality and style, well done.

tony

Thank you Tony, very kind.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Tony Betts - 23-06-2022

not kind. true

its a stunner, and will have crowds round it at any show.

tony

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - squeak - 23-06-2022

' Posh '?

What an utterly bonkers reply Ruairidh.
I echo others approval of the Highland coupe and will join the admiring crowd at Moreton as well as peeking at the Maythorne.
I'm off to google "Oiks"
See you

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Charles P - 24-06-2022

Lovely car
My only hope is that whoever is lucky enough to be the next owner uses it properly and doesn't just occasionally park it in a field, with plaque propped up in front.
I also think that a blown engine would be the icing on the cake

Charles