The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Highland Sports Coupe project... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Highland Sports Coupe project... (/showthread.php?tid=4964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 31-10-2020

The TD coupe is interesting isn't it Jon. I know nothing about TD but there were so many small coach-building firms, some making no more than a handful of cars all with small variations on the theme. I'm sure the quality varied enormously.

I've kept the drawings to myself Henry, partly because they are embarrassingly scrappy! I do a lot of thumbnail sketches before I make anything - several variations of the same thing - and then make adjustments as I go. I have also spent a lot of hours making templates of the finished components so the body could easily be replicated if anyone wants one.

I look forward to seeing your Delage Colin.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Duncan Grimmond - 31-10-2020

This is another fine piece of work, excellent stuff!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 20-11-2020

A bit more progress recently, in between other customer projects.

The boot has taken up far more time than I expected. The lid will carry the spare wheel and initially I had envisaged that it would be side-hinged. Despite finding a robust piano type hinge the weight was putting too much strain on the boot structure. 

Plan B was to put hinges at the bottom; this was complicated because with the hinges fitted to the edge of the lid, the spare wheel caught on the underside of the frame as it opened. Eventually I ended up with elongated hinges. A bit unconventional but tidy enough I hope. The steel gulley took some time too. All in all a bit of a faff.

The doors were much more straightforward. They have been skinned on the outside and panels made for the inside. 

We found some Austin 10 door locks and I decided to make new covers to match the slant of the A-pillars. They will be nickel plated so my welding skills were pushed to their limits - no filler allowed! 

I've also machined some rainwater gulleys from steel tube; they'll go underneath the window channels with drain-tubing down through the door bottom. There will be a hardwood trim holding the gulley and channel in place; traditionally I suppose it should be mahogany but I find the type you get these days to be quite bland. I've decided to choose the best looking pieces of ash and stain them a suitable colour.

It's amazing how many hours go into all the fixtures and fittings. Still a long way to go.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Duncan Grimmond - 21-11-2020

This is getting better by the minute, crack on!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Mike Costigan - 21-11-2020

I think the bottom-hinged boot lid is a much better solution; just add a leather strap each side and you can use the lid as a floor extension to treble the boot capacity!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - David.H - 21-11-2020

Wonderful skills being demonstrated on this project. Do you know what the weight of the body is likely to be compared to a fabric/alloy or steel equivalent?

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Malcolm Parker - 21-11-2020

Great craftsmanship on display, Peter, and thanks for sharing it with us.
Re the door panels, on my Pytchley I cut an oblong out similar to that of an RK saloon.  As well as giving you a very useful door pocket, it provides an extra bit of elbow room.  In a closed car where you can't hang your right elbow over the side, this extra room is useful. (Thinking of a large bearded bloke!)
For your door cappings, I might have some mahogany in stock, from an old Victorian chest of drawers that was in a shed when I bought my house.  I will see what I have.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 21-11-2020

Thank you Malcolm, very kind. I plan to make the dash, door cappings and a rail all around the rear bulkhead /parcel shelf to match so I hope it's a big chest of drawers!

I don't have any figures for the weights David but my impression is that it might be a little lighter than a fabric or aluminium saloon and undoubtedly lighter than the Ruby body the chassis probably carried when new! I will weigh the body before it goes together for the last time. The floor and all the metal fittings, small though they are, contribute a significant part of the weight. I've also been working on the bulkhead which will add a bit. Photos later.

I really like the idea of leather straps for the boot lid Mike. I spotted some in Derek's recent post (the lovely little Rosengart camionette commerciale). If one had any intention of using it with the lid down the rear number plate would need to fold - memories of my Mk1 Mini Cooper but I think to do so might just encourage too much use and abuse.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Tony Griffiths - 22-11-2020

(20-11-2020, 11:52 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote:  It's amazing how many hours go into all the fixtures and fittings. Still a long way to
So very, very true - as I've just rediscovered. It's the fiddle bits that get one going and, as they are often unseen when finished, there is only the quiet satisfaction of knowing a job well done (or, in my case, as well as I can manage).

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Sweeney - 23-11-2020

Fantastic , wonderful to see such clean finishing and looking so stylish. Looking forward to seeing the finished car. Pete