The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Highland Sports Coupe project... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Highland Sports Coupe project... (/showthread.php?tid=4964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Chris KC - 21-10-2020

This is making me want to rush out in the cold and start cutting up those two boards of ash I have 'maturing'!

I'm especially taken with the rear window detail.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 21-10-2020

Thank you Malcolm, I had never considered the turbulence issue but it is quite a big peak!

There is something very satisfying working with ash. I have to keep telling myself not to get carried away with the finishing, given that most of it will never be seen. Inside the boot is the exception so I can get quite obsessive there!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Nick Salmon - 21-10-2020

As youngsters, building Airfix kits, we always painted the interiors of the aircraft. They would never be seen again but 'we knew it was there'. I still occasionally make one, and I still do the interiors. So Peter, you fettle as you see fit - and enjoy knowing it's been done. And we will enjoy knowing too...

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 30-10-2020

Making doors seems to be something that people often struggle with. I start by cutting the four outer pieces to fit the profile of the body, leaving each of them over length. I cut spacers for all the gaps so I can clamp each piece to the body.

I then cut a joint at one corner and clamp it to check that the angle of the joint is accurate, then move on to the next joint until they are all cut.

Once the outer pieces are done I add the centre horizontal, again checking each joint for accuracy independently. Only when I'm happy that all the joints are accurate do I glue and screw it all together. It should mean the frame has no inherent stresses and will stay square to the body. The curved side is added last.

Here the excess has been trimmed from the corners and fillets added to the window corners.

The door gaps are bigger front and back than the top because a rebate will be added to the pillars later. The sill (and bottom of the door) is angled to shed rainwater.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Ivor Hawkins - 30-10-2020

Absolutely brilliant, I’m very impressed with the workmanship and the design is sublime...I think I want one!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Colin Swinbourne - 30-10-2020

Amazing work! I did the front doors on my Delage around six years ago...(the workmanship isn’t as stunning as yours but they fit) I’ve been putting off doing the rear doors ever since- I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet though as I’m trying to get the car on the road next year!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Henry Harris - 30-10-2020

Hello Peter,
It's lovely. Can we see the drawings?

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Damian GT - 31-10-2020

Looks fabulous - well done.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - JonE - 31-10-2020

Proportions look really good; the extra 6" really helps. Some aspects remind me of https://austinharris.co.uk/car/austin/seven-7/coachbuilt/td-coupe

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Dave Wortley - 31-10-2020

Peter, that is such superb workmanship. The finished body will look a real treat.
Cheers,
Dave.