The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Highland Sports Coupe project... - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Highland Sports Coupe project... (/showthread.php?tid=4964)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Peter Naulls - 09-10-2020

Here we see the jig in action. I took the opportunity to tape some strips of plywood around the jig at waist level - from B-post to radiator shell just to see the lines of the car and immediately decided it needed adjusting. I narrowed the screen by 1 1/4" (you can see where the jig is wider than the posts) before I was happy with the proportions. Suprisingly this has been the biggest deviation from the drawings so far. 

Once the rear panel was made up I ran a straight edge across the top of the jig, marking the height to make sure all the uprights ended up in the same plane. The wheel-arches are now profiled correctly and the structural glum-lams fixed in place. The boot floor is yet to be cut to size and there is a structural rail to be added underneath. The hole in the boot floor is the battery box - making use of that space between the spring and torque tube.

Taking a lead from the design of the RK saloon the rear panel is slightly curved in plan (except where it joins the boot). The top and bottom rails of the rear window are also curved in elevation. Straight lines look wrong, even on what appear to be very square cars!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Zetomagneto - 09-10-2020

This is amazing, it will be a car in no time at all and a very pretty one at that.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Colin Swinbourne - 10-10-2020

That’s coming along nicely. Going to look amazing when finished.

Are you building it with a fixed or opening roof? I only ask as my Rover 10/25 Sportsmans coupe has a convertible roof that opens back as far as the “B” post, folding back onto the rear fixed part of the roof and I think it’s brilliant on what would otherwise be quite a dark cabin. Obviously it would add the additional challenge of making a hood frame!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Ruairidh Dunford - 10-10-2020

This will be a fixed head Coupe, very early on we did briefly discuss the possibility of a removable hard top.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Malcolm Parker - 10-10-2020

Looking good!  The benefits of having a plan to start with and a simple body jig are clear to see.
A thought.   I assume that the windows of the two doors will not have fully opening glass, probably a sliding rear section similar to those on my Pytchley?
If so, the interior could get rather warm.  When you build a new body they tend to be free of the draughts that original cars have, probably because someone hasn't drilled 23 holes in the bulkhead over the past 80 years.
I found that fitting a smokers vent in the roof of the Pytchley  improved the ventilation and comfort immensely.  With the rather more compact interior dimensions of the coupe, it could be worthwhile thinking of doing the same?
Enjoying this thread a great deal.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Ruairidh Dunford - 10-10-2020

The side windows will slide Malcolm, thank you for your comment re. ventilation - we will give that some thought...

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Malcolm Parker - 10-10-2020

I know that Geoff Roe finds his coupe a bit warm, knowing Geoff you will appreciate that he likes his comfort!  His coupe also has sliding door windows, taken from an early mini.

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Duncan Grimmond - 10-10-2020

I have a feeling this is going to be a rather nice looking machine, can't wait for further pics!

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - JonE - 10-10-2020

Could you not have some hidden vents at the back to channel air through the cabin?

RE: Highland Sports Coupe project... - Dave Mann - 10-10-2020

At last we have got to the interesting bit.