The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Carden Block Joint - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Carden Block Joint (/showthread.php?tid=4651)

Pages: 1 2

Carden Block Joint - redruthman07@gmail.com - 10-07-2020

Having bought my RN back in March, and more or less immediately removed the engine and gearbox to renovate the clutch, I am at last putting some (very enjoyable) mileage under the wheels.

However I am listening hard as I drive along, trying to make sense of the various sounds particularly from the rear.

I realise this is a very subjective question but are Carden Block joints very noisy!!?

Thank you in anticipation of your opinions, Brian.

RE: Carden Block Joint - Rick F - 10-07-2020

I would say NO, unless the pins and/or blocks are badly warn

RE: Carden Block Joint - Robert Leigh - 10-07-2020

The more play in the joint the worse the noise will be. If play is minimal make sure there is plenty of grease in the joint and a good cover to stop it coming out.

RE: Carden Block Joint - "Slack Alice" Simon - 10-07-2020

If you have a Carden at one end then you have a fabric joint at the other.

These can often hit the handbrake supporting bits, making noises.

Lubricated worn Cardens are not usually noisy, but you get vibration from the propshaft at various speeds, which is uncomfortable.

RE: Carden Block Joint - Nick Turley - 10-07-2020

If you plan to use your car a lot and the joint is bad worn, as mention by "Slack Alice" vibration is the main problem.

One possible solution if you fancy it are the prop-shafts that David Cochrane does, a hardy spicer at each end - goodbye vibration.

RE: Carden Block Joint - David Witton - 10-07-2020

If you are considering any serious road runs or long distance travelling, then the Hardy Spicer shaft as sold by David C is a worthwhile investment. It bolts straight on with no need to change the pinion flange and transforms the driving experience. No more constant greasing of that rattley old joint. I am a convert.

RE: Carden Block Joint - redruthman07@gmail.com - 11-07-2020

Thank you for your replies.

There seems to be little wear in the the joint and I can’t find any tell tails that that the prop shaft is touching anything. It is a Carden/Fabric joint set up all looking good.

So I think that what prompted my question has confirmed my fears that there are problems in the axle. 

Apart from the general noise there is occasionally a regular very firm mechanical vibration/ almost knocking which I think is on left-hand bends particularly. Also, going from first to reverse and vice versa there is a lot of play before drive is taken up.

This has all become apparent and worsened since my first, hard driven, 70 miles yesterday. This was expressly to expose problems which it seems to have done! At least my clutch repair is ok!

I’ll have a bit more of a poke around today but I think I am going to have to drop the axle. “What then” I ask myself since from what I read, work involving the crown wheel etc is for a professional.

Anyway thank you all again.....if anyone can make sense of what I have just written and has any further comments they would be welcome.

Brian.

RE: Carden Block Joint - Dave Mann - 11-07-2020

First job I'd do is to drain the axle and examine what comes out.

RE: Carden Block Joint - Robert Leigh - 11-07-2020

Before draining the axle check that the offside rear hub is tight on the halfshaft.

RE: Carden Block Joint - redruthman07@gmail.com - 18-07-2020

I have just bought one of David Cochrane’s prop shafts which come highly recommended.

However from a cursory inspection there would seem to be a problem with it clearing the hand break mechanism on my RN.

I have not actually offered it up yet so am not sure exactly how close it will be. I am booked into my friendly local garage in a weeks time for them to do the fitting on their ramp.

Is this a big problem please or one with a simple solution? As ever, any comments from anyone who has been here before would be very gratefully received.

Brian.