The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes (/showthread.php?tid=4603)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - JonE - 03-07-2020

I think the CA7C link gives....RN Saloon 3 speed 7¼" (no bush) - shaft dismantles to rear... so 3/4" longer but minus the bit the bush protrudes? Can anyone confirm the overall difference?

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Ian Williams - 03-07-2020

I will take photographs and measurements of all types for you tomorrow Jon, any other questions you want answered?

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - JonE - 04-07-2020

looking back through the article sources, indexes and Mark, Jim and Ruairidh's suggestions, it all starts to gel so it's just the visual implications of the changeover. I can see that saving those few parts for restorations-to-original is sensible, particularly if the later dog works more efficiently and new shafts are easily available.

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - JonE - 13-11-2020

ok, this is an earlier '29 nosepiece with thread for the brass nut. 
Is the internal stop here the same as the later one for the later shaft/ dog apparatus?
i.e. can it be used with the later dog conversion... and no front bush?
I've noticed in both Platts and Woodrow, I can't find the part sequence for the '29 onward arrangements. Are they available anywhere?     

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Ruairidh Dunford - 13-11-2020

Not without serious modification Jon.

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Zetomagneto - 13-11-2020

Here is an early nosepiece I have converted to take the later shaft.Looks exactly the same externally, brass bush at the front . As previously said parts are not available for the earlier ones.    

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Howard Wright - 13-11-2020

Hi John

I have posted this before but I used an old dog, drilled to suit the starting handle shaft fixed with 1/4 studs through tapped holes in the case. Then JBweld in position.

Cheers

Howard

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - JonE - 13-11-2020

(13-11-2020, 10:23 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: As previously said parts are not available for the earlier ones.
Thanks for those pics,everybody. I can see now as the thread on this nosepiece is good, its not a good thing to alter, unless those internal details are completely worn? 

Zeto - I meant the exploded parts diagrams being available anywhere, not the parts... 

It's impossible trying to work it out from first principles, with nothing to reference i.e. unless you have actually taken one apart that works.

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - Zetomagneto - 13-11-2020

All the ones I have seen are knackered like the one you have. You will have to get a better one or repair/ convert what you have to later type but it cost money.

RE: crankcase front cover (nosepiece) changes - JonE - 14-11-2020

I see John Barlow has both variants on his website list as new castings for 55/60 quid. By the time you have sent it there and back to someone to fix, you might as well buy a new one...