Austinsevenfriends
Chassis and axle position? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Chassis and axle position? (/showthread.php?tid=4137)

Chassis and axle position? - Caddy1980 - 03-04-2020

Hi I’ve been trying to get the body to line up on my rtc special (1934 ruby) I believe but I’m not really having much luck. The body seems straight on the chassis but both axles seem to be over to one side or another? I have stripped and rebuilt the rear shocks removed the springs ect and the axle is still nearly 10mm over towards the passenger side, now on the front the axle is nearly 20mm over to one side. I know this is probably a silly question but are the axles supposed to be off center? If not is the front just a question of loosening the spring u bolts and pushing it across? In the phot you can see that the drop links are both lent over. Does this look correct?
Sorry for all the questions I’m new to Austin 7’s but really do appreciate the help 
Aaron

Photo

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Howard Wright - 03-04-2020

Hi Aaron

The front spring should have a bolt that passes through the spring leaves.  The head of this bolt should be shaped as a small truncated cone.  This fits into a hole on the underside of the chassis nose piece.

Firstly I would check that the bolt head does fit into the corresponding (central) hole. Secondly I would ensure that the ends of the spring are symmetrical about the bolt head.Thirdly I would check that there is no damage to the radius arms.

At the rear I would check that each rear spring is the same length and same camber.

If the body is still off centre check that it is bolted to the chassis centrally.

Finally if all this checks out I would start looking at any damage to the chassis! 

Hope you sort it out

Cheers

Howard

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Caddy1980 - 03-04-2020

Hi Howard that’s a great help thanks! I’m not concerned about the body so much as the axle not being central in the chassis if I measure between the centre of the chassis to each end of the spring I get two different lengths so the spring is clearly off to one side. I will remove it tomorrow to see what’s going on with the pin. Thanks again
Aaron

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Tony Press - 04-04-2020

Welcome to the fascinating but sometimes frustrating world of the Austin Seven.

Read up as much as possible and if you haven't yet done so, join an Austin Seven  Club

All good advice- the front axle can settle slightly 'off-centre' with the standard suspension but all should be checked . 

The visible brake lever is 'back to front'-  the ball should face the wheel and be directly under the kink pin to work correctly.

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Steve kay - 04-04-2020

Also buy a steering arm from David Cochrane, who is still posting out vital components when not reminiscing about his younger days at the Phoenix.

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Caddy1980 - 04-04-2020

Hi thanks For the help and advice. I’ll turn the brake levers around When I put it all Back together hopefully this afternoon. The bolt that go’s through the spring was a real mess when I took it out this morning. I’m going to clean it all up and put it all back together and hopefully it will be ok. Is the steering arm needed as it’s a safety measure or is there something else wrong with mine?
Thanks again
Aaron

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Howard Wright - 04-04-2020

Hi Aaron

The original A7 steering arm is known to be weak and there have been many reports of them failing. The problem point is in the base of the bend and often cracks can be seen.  A new arm is a sensible precaution although I’ve crack tested the arm on my RK and fitted a “Big Seven” arm on the special I am building.

Cheers

Howard

RE: Chassis and axle position? - Caddy1980 - 04-04-2020

Ok thanks I’ll look into getting a new arm!
I managed to get the front axle to sit properly I guess a combination of a damaged central pin and worn out / tired bushes ect all added to the problem. Thanks again for the help!
Aaron