The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Tappets - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Tappets (/showthread.php?tid=3996)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tappets - Hobbo - 10-03-2020

Hi whilst I have the manifold off is there a cold setting for the tappets. Handbook says set whilst the engine is hot, don't fancy having hands under scorching hot manifold but if needs must so be it. Thanks Mike.

RE: Tappets - Colin Wilks - 10-03-2020

I was advised by a very experienced sevener to set all gaps to .010" cold. I have followed his advice and it seems to work. However, I have a feeling you may find this is a contentious issue on which opinions differ!

RE: Tappets - Howard Wright - 10-03-2020

Hi Mike

I’ve always set mine at “sixes and sevens” 6 inlet 7 exhaust but that is a standard Seven. I believe your car is a Big Seven so it may be different?

Cheers

Howard

RE: Tappets - Jeff Taylor - 10-03-2020

Hi Mike,

Pitman's 'The Book of the Austin Seven and Eight' fourth edition 1953 recommends the following tappet clearances for the BIG SEVEN and EIGHT. This clearance recommendation is contained within Chapter 5 'Decarbonizing' which describes work on an engine block minus its head, manifold etc so I assume these will be cold clearances:

0.008" to 0.009"

RE: Tappets - Parazine - 10-03-2020

I've used 0.006" for inlets and 0.008" for exhausts (cold) for the last forty years. Hasn't let me down yet and the valves don't burn out!

RE: Tappets - Chris KC - 10-03-2020

Likewise I use 6 in and 8 ex.

I would never, ever contemplate setting them hot - should always be done at room temperature except under the direst of circumstances.

RE: Tappets - Alan - 10-03-2020

Agreed. 6 and 8 cold.

RE: Tappets - bystander - 10-03-2020

Adjusting the clearance with a feeler gauge may be academic anyway. Often the tappet head has had an indent hammered into it by the valve stem over time, so the actual clearance may be greater - not that that is necessarily critical in normal road use unless excessively clattery.

RE: Tappets - Bob Culver - 10-03-2020

I note that LM Williams in his Specials book, immensely revered on this Forum, recommends .004 which I recall was the company recommendation. He does not distinguish various valve steels. Austin book 843/C 1957 states .004, hot!
I presume all cars are now running modern exh valve steels which expand more than XB and earlier, so somewaht greater gap appropriate.

RE: Tappets - Chris KC - 10-03-2020

An indented tappet head at least results in an error on the 'safe' side i.e. too much gap.
Tappet screws clean up quite nicely if you chuck them in a bench drill and bring the head down onto some oiled wet & dry paper - on a flat surface of course.