The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Impossible in an Austin 7 - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Impossible in an Austin 7 (/showthread.php?tid=3933)

Pages: 1 2

Impossible in an Austin 7 - Tony Griffiths - 22-02-2020

No, no. Not that; this:

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Dave Wortley - 22-02-2020

Tony,there was a certain chummy that may have been capable of this,considering it had shot blasted brake drums!
Dave

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Tony Griffiths - 22-02-2020

(22-02-2020, 05:04 PM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Tony,there was a certain chummy that may have been capable of this,considering it had shot blasted brake drums!
Dave
Perhaps not quite as good as that - but that chummy did once startle a VSCC Marsal manning a "stop-across-the-line" test as both front wheels locked. "Austin 7s can't do that!" he exclaimed while jumping back in astonishment. However, instead of wearing out in a few miles, the brakes (with rivet-free, bonded-on linings - and perfectly bedded-in of course) then lasted for around 10,000 miles while maintaining most of their remarkable stopping power.

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Dave Mann - 23-02-2020

When I saw this thread I thought there could only be one thing that was impossible in a Seven.

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Chris Garner - 23-02-2020

Years ago now when I was restoring a fabric saloon I managed to locate a previous owner, a lovely elderly lady who owned it pre war. 
When finished I took it over for her to see it. ( she lived close to Cranwell, Lincs ).
After looking over the car, she turned to me and with a sheepish smile said " we used to do our courting in the back there before we were married!"
I made no comment.

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Tony Griffiths - 24-02-2020

I read once read it was thought that, during the 1920s, half the babies conceived in the USA were the result of gymnastics on the back seat of Model T Fords. Mind you, they are a bit roomier than a Seven....

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Nick Salmon - 24-02-2020

Let us not forget that John Mortimer’s father, a famous divorce lawyer, once established adultery with no more evidence than a pair of footprints upside down on the dashboard of an Austin Seven.

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Hugh Barnes - 24-02-2020

and I am reliably informed that anything is possible in the back of an RP saloon, though you do need a 2 gallon petrol can to hold the front seats up out of the way...

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Nick Lettington - 24-02-2020

With some of the bodged repairs posted on the pages of the forum over the years, I'd think it perfectly possible for the body to detach from the chassis on a Seven... possibly not under heavy breaking though.

RE: Impossible in an Austin 7 - Tony Griffiths - 24-02-2020

(24-02-2020, 10:35 AM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Let us not forget that John Mortimer’s father, a famous divorce lawyer, once established adultery with no more evidence than a pair of footprints upside down on the dashboard of an Austin Seven.
A work colleague told me that he and his wife once drove off on a frosty morning (in a modern, not a Seven)- only for a footprint to emerge on the misted-up windscreen. It was only with much furious rubbing that he managed to conceal this embarrassing fact from the passenger.