The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
outdoor waterproof cover - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: outdoor waterproof cover (/showthread.php?tid=3919)

Pages: 1 2

outdoor waterproof cover - Ladybird - 18-02-2020

Hello. We have a 1936 Austin 7 Opal two seater tourer. We need a waterproof car cover for when are away from home and have to park out in the open. Any suggestions please.

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - Chris KC - 18-02-2020

Are you wanting a cover for the cockpit area e.g. a tonneau? Or for the whole car?

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - Ladybird - 18-02-2020

The whole car, to serve two purposes; 1 to keep the interior of the car dry, 2 to keep the car covered overnight during runs and therefore less obvious to potential thieves.

Hmm, I understand how you feel but I think you are better off choosing safer places to park up rather than throwing a cover over.
If buying a waterproof car cover you need to be careful to find one which is not going to chafe against your paintwork i.e. it needs a soft lining. When I'm 'on tour' I simply use a tonneau cover to keep rain out.

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - Ladybird - 18-02-2020

Good point Chris thankyou. any suggestions where we get a good tonneau cover.

I made my own but if you want a professional-looking job I hear good reports about :

GAIL HODGSON (GJ UPHOLSTERY)
Address: The Barn at rear of 56 Sea Road, East Preston, West Sussex, BN16 1LP
Phone: Mobile: 07453 772070 Workshop: 01903 775860
Email: gail.vicsai@hotmail.co.uk
Services: Interior trim including carpets, seats, tonneaus, sidescreens etc

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - Andrew Wilson - 19-02-2020

covers Have a look at Halfords car  covers for outdoor use very pleased with mine Andrew

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - "Slack Alice" Simon - 19-02-2020

The simplest form of tonneau is a rectangle with an eyelet in each corner, and elastic in each eyelet which can be tied or hooked onto the spokes of each wheel.

If you get suitable good quality fabric - like the re-inforced plastic used for boat covers, and make the holes with a soldering iron, you don't even need a hem.

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - Ladybird - 19-02-2020

Thank you Andrew. Brilliant suggestion. We have been to Halfords and were lucky enough to get an extra small, all seasons waterproof cover which should be perfect for when we are away from home and the car is not in a garage.

Thank you Simon. Great suggestion. We will have a go, as this seems an easy way of making a Tonneau which should be perfect for days out.

RE: outdoor waterproof cover - "Slack Alice" Simon - 19-02-2020

For not much more work, starting with an oversize piece of material and some pins, you can tailor a few pleats here and there to make the cover look a little "fitted".

You can get eyelet kits and plastic snap hooks from a chandlery, and they may also have some thin twine and a heavy duty needle - a stitch every centimetre or so is all you need, if you don't have access to a machine.

Even better, make a pattern from an old sheet, using pins instead of stitches.   That way, you make your mistakes on something expendable.

To make sure the water doesn't just make a big puddle in the middle,some sort of ridge pole may help.   Plastic water pipe, bamboo or an old windsurfing sail batten, maybe.