The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Speedex Heads - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Speedex Heads (/showthread.php?tid=3796)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Speedex Heads - Adam Brown - 21-01-2020

Does anybody know if the VSCC are in favour of aluminium heads on Sevens such as the Speedex and Speedy variants?

RE: Speedex Heads - Alan - 21-01-2020

50s/60s alloy heads such as supaloy, speedex, LRM etc are not acceptable to the VSCC. Modern reproductions of pre war Ricardo And Whatmough Hewitt items are approved as are any genuine pre war alloy heads. You might get away with an alloy 9E1 reproduction or an early Cambridge head, which is essentially a copy of the ‘37 head in aluminium.

RE: Speedex Heads - Paul Nott - 21-01-2020

Recently fitted a Riccardo style alloy head supply by Dave Dye, as far as I'm aware its VSCC approved.
Cost a very reasonable £200 plus carriage.
Certainly made a difference to performance.

RE: Speedex Heads - Malcolm Parker - 21-01-2020

I would go for one of Dave Dyes Ricardo heads.  I have them on my Ulster and also on the swb saloon.  They are the best £200 or so you can spend on your Seven!
3 bhp is worth having when you are are starting with less than 20.

RE: Speedex Heads - Steve Jones - 21-01-2020

(21-01-2020, 02:15 PM)Alan Wrote: 50s/60s alloy heads such as supaloy, speedex, LRM etc are not acceptable to the VSCC. Modern reproductions of pre war Ricardo And Whatmough Hewitt items are approved as are any genuine pre war alloy heads. You might get away with an alloy 9E1 reproduction or an early Cambridge head, which is essentially a copy of the ‘37 head in aluminium.

Correct in every detail. 

Steve

RE: Speedex Heads - Hugh Barnes - 21-01-2020

Are you plannng to race the Van, Adam?

RE: Speedex Heads - dickie65 - 21-01-2020

I Agree,
I have tried various heads on the Type 65

The Factory 9E Head is very harsh as it makes the pistons rock as it fires. ( makes a noisy engine )

The Whatmough replica is a bad casting and needs lots of work to balance the combustion chambers and allow the valves to open
Big Valves High lift cam, hit the head with not enough height clearance or periphial clearance.

The ruby is Ok but fouls plugs and is not VSCC accepted.

The Ricardo replica is a good casting and the Type 65 runs very well with it.
I can get more revs out of the engine with this head than the others that I have commented on.

If you are running in Vintage Class you need 18mm Plugs.
As the Type 65 is PVT Modified I can use 14mm Plugs.

RE: Speedex Heads - Alan - 21-01-2020

If by ruby head you mean the ‘37 one, that’s VSCC accepted, maybe they won’t classify you as standard and it will be PVT unless you modify to 18mm plugs. Provided your engine can tolerate the plug position, I think with a couple of modifications it can be better than the Ricardo one. (Actually it’s a Ricardo head too, because he designed it )

RE: Speedex Heads - dickie65 - 21-01-2020

Fair point Alan.

I sit corrected !!
I must re read the VSCC Austin Seven Eligibilty guide.
I believe the guide is available on line for non members.

RE: Speedex Heads - Dave Wortley - 21-01-2020

Not being interested in racing my Seven and considering that post war designed heads might have the advantage of development, especially after the clever formula 750 club racing people were involved, then which head is regarded as the overall best?