The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Austin 7 Ute - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Austin 7 Ute (/showthread.php?tid=3667)

Pages: 1 2

Austin 7 Ute - Mark McKibbin - 21-12-2019

I found this on the National Library Australia site, it says 1924 would that be correct?

RE: Austin 7 Ute - JonE - 21-12-2019

they look like 7" brakes...

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Mike Costigan - 21-12-2019

That's got to be 1927 or 1928... at the very earliest very late 1926.

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Mike Costigan - 21-12-2019

Here's a slightly later version, seen in the Friends' Gallery:

[Image: 158_04_11_17_12_43_47.jpeg]

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Bob Culver - 22-12-2019

The original photo looks like it taken on north shore of Auckland harbour, facing W from Birkenhead wharf with the sugar refinery in background. Upper reaches of harbour several miles around the corner.. The wooded land was/is defence area. The wharf was important for ferries to the city before the harbour bridge.
Was it 4 cwt without passenger? Probably based on a 10 stone 1920s driver.With modern proportions would soon be full.

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Bill Sheehan - 02-01-2020

Rather than Bob's guess, I prefer to think the photo was actually taken at Fremantlle for Winterbottom's (Austin agents) Sales Brochure which appeared from memory in 1927 (as not home to check date as I send this).  Definitely  not 1924.  Note the hood frame and one-piece windscreen, both uniquely Australian.  As I wrote in an  article in the Grey Mag many years ago, Seven Utilities were specially built from the ground up (not chopped roadsters or tourers), and sold commercially, in  Oz in the 20a & 30s - long before Ford "invented the Ute" (Pick-up in other Countries).  More correctly, Ford rightly invented the "Cab-utility" in the 30s. which featured a comfortable hard- top.  Oz Sevens like others later copied the hard-top idea, especially with the Ruby version.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Mark Dymond - 03-01-2020

Or looking towards Kings Park from Perth, the building would be the old Swan Brewery
http://www.wabiz.org/perth/the-old-brewery/history

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Tony Press - 03-01-2020

"Bill Sheehan Rather than Bob's guess, I prefer to think the photo was actually taken at Fremantlle for Winterbottom's (Austin agents) Sales Brochure which appeared from memory in 1927 (as not home to check date as I send this).  Definitely  not 1924.  Note the hood frame and one-piece windscreen, both uniquely Australian.  As I wrote in an  article in the Grey Mag many years ago, Seven Utilities were specially built from the ground up (not chopped roadsters or tourers), and sold commercially, in  Oz in the 20a & 30s - long before Ford "invented the Ute" (Pick-up in other Countries).  More correctly, Ford rightly invented the "Cab-utility" in the 30s. which featured a comfortable hard- top.  Oz Sevens like others later copied the hard-top idea, especially with the Ruby version.  Cheers,  Bill in Oz "[/quote]

My first Austin 7 in 1955 was a Utility ! 

According to the registration papers it started as a 1929 Saloon, converted post war to a professionally built steel cab utility with wooden tray. 

This picture was taken some years on by a later owner.    

.jpg   Beaut Ute.jpg (Size: 80.44 KB / Downloads: 442)

The Austin Distributors 1928 model has 3 1/2 cwt capacity, uprated to 4 cwt for 1929/30

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Bob Culver - 03-01-2020

Thanks Bill and Mark. Wherever taken it is a remarkably clear well lit photo.Certainly NZ very unlikely if car an Oz made model. I expected to hear from some of our North Shore readers by now! I will have to go for a drive and check my memory bank. I guess all bushy headlands with a factory at the base look much the same.

RE: Austin 7 Ute - Steve Bryant - 03-01-2020

Just curious, but was there a drivers door? and was the spare wheel attached to it?
Stephen