The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity (/showthread.php?tid=3638)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - Derek Sheldon - 14-12-2019

I think that the writings on the wall. I have noticed over the last few years that along with fear stands there has been an influx of European stands, these have part replaced the fewer home grown ones . I do think that post Brexit , the pound may soar making the trip from Europe less attractive . There has also been a noticeable amount of foreign buyers.
I for one buy very little there, only taking advantage of seeing the goods before paying for them or picking up from there to save postage. 
I in the main just use it as a social  event But at £15 entry I sometimes wonder if it’s worth it.
The addition of antiques will not help the situation for the motor fraternity but might help Beauliue in the short term until nobody bothers to turn up.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - JonE - 14-12-2019

Beaulieu will be looking at potential market share of folks within 3 hours travelling - the further they can get from 'motor' the better... for new business that is allowed to support of their core charitable aim.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - robert regan - 14-12-2019

I nave had my stall there now for more than twenty years and for the last three of those have been saying this will be my last year,and having seen all the gaps this september thats it for me.It used to be the event of the year when I first started to go as a buyer of all things Austin Seven , its something I never thought would or could happen still the joy of owning and driving my cars remains the same "rumble on and enjoy" regards to all Rob.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - Tony Betts - 14-12-2019

Hi Robert,

I totally agree on all the gaps, they even left out the row of white tents in green field. And this is obviously what is worrying beaulieu as organisers.

Although there worry is more the fact they are taking less money by it, rather than it being negative for stall holders or public.

It's a shame if you don't do beaulieu Robert, but we have the same talk with friends each year about Hershey. As we get older, we all have to take that decision each year if we attentive the next year.

And if I'm honest, I wasnt happy when I first read the email. And beaulieus ideas of improvements. But after 10 minutes of thought on it. I felt I've probably not got to many beaulieus left in me anyway. And wasnt so bothered if they killed there own golden goose off?

Tony.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - charlie carpenter - 14-12-2019

I fly down to Beaulieu each year and meet friends and enjoy the atmosphere I missed this year but last year noticed a lot of gaps. I hope it does continue as there is at least some pre war part which is not the case at most Scottish jumbles.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - Dave Wortley - 14-12-2019

Tony. It is too far to go from Sheffield and plenty far for you. I was tempted to go this year as a pal was going but short notice and I had other plans. NEC is about the right distance and more central for more people but I know parking is a little pricey. Perhaps other issues with NEC that I am not aware of. Stoneleigh?
Cheers, Dave.
I have been before (1970) and bought a spot on Chummy rad for 30 shillings. We went down from Sheffield in an Anglia van and slept in it in the New Forest. That was 4 of us lads, very uncomfortable and very unpleasant not least the smells inside.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - Tony Betts - 14-12-2019

hi dave,

the saddest thing i find with the way beaulieu seams to be going.

is beaulieu has always felt like the last true autojumble in the country. because of whats on offer.

yes there are other autojumbles, before the complaints come in.

and yes ive stood a stall at most of them. 

as you say NEC. there used to be a nice quite large jumble there. but it colapsed as stall holders gave up due to lack of takings.

and as you say stoneleigh. but its not a patch on what things were. most of the stall holders wont bring the good stuff out anymore as they couldnt get the prices for it. so the rougher stuff is put out instead.

the same thing with normous newark, malvern, shefield, and many many others.

there was even an event started up over the last few years at coventry rico arena. but not enough public attending, to warrant the stallholders returning.

so even if i stopped attending beaulieu, it would still sadden me to think it was going the same way as all the others.

tony

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - robert regan - 15-12-2019

I wonder if anyone who runs or has any say at Beaulieu enterprises belongs to any of the many one make car clubs that abound in the Uk, and on their forums are they saying much the same things as we are talking about in these pages. one thing that I have always thought about jumbling as a seller and as a buyer going through the gates "is that", if the jumble organisers kept the cost down to the traders then the jumble would thrive, because when I was attending just about every jumble there was, I did not care how far I travelled or if the admission price seemed a bit high as long as the stalls were there in numbers it was always worth going. I must add the reason I stopped going to other once great jumbles "Malvern, Stoneleigh,Newark and many others was lack of stall numbers p.s in real life I am more cheerfull than I sound here best to all Rob.

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - John Mason - 15-12-2019

I have never been to any autojumble other than atAutokarna Nottingham. It is no doubt nice to go and make it it a social event meeting friends and buying the odd bit. However I think most people buy there spares by mail or telephone from cherished suppliers when they need them. Autojumbles are going like the high street loosing out to online shopping although more by telephone and mail order than online.

John Mason

RE: beaulieu autojumble genius or stoopidity - bystander - 15-12-2019

Sadly, I think the golden age of autojumbles has passed and cannot be re-captured.

I remember the original and first in the UK - just a few stalls in the old rally field at Beaulieu in the 1960's, closely followed by Old Motor magazine's flea markets in London and Crich, proving so popular that before long they began to spring up all over the country until saturation point was reached, probably in the 1980's/90's.

Love it or hate it, the atmosphere at Beaulieu, with its setting in the New Forest is unique and I doubt it could be replicated elsewhere. The NEC is charmless and even popular venues such as Bicester, Brooklands, Goodwood et al would struggle to establish a rival event of the same magnitude.

However the Management at Beaulieu needs to recognise that the peak has passed, and to maintain the success of the September autojumble some radical action is needed.
Firstly the Spring event should be dropped altogether - it has never really taken off and may be diluting the demand for September. Secondly they should not be greedy, and drastically cut the cost for stallholders and public alike. Without a full and interesting field of professional and amateur stands (many of which barely cover their cost or even make a loss at the moment) the general public will not be attracted, and without a good public attendance the stalls will dwindle further. Beaulieu might say that slashing prices is not financially viable, if that's the case they should quit while they are ahead and let another venue have a go.

Just my two penn'orth - I might be completely wrong!