The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Temperature on head after a drive ? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Temperature on head after a drive ? (/showthread.php?tid=3358)

Pages: 1 2

Temperature on head after a drive ? - Mogens - 30-09-2019

I would like to know what temperature are normal on top of head .Mine shows 120 C to 90C after a good drive at max speed up to 35 mph .10 miles to  MOT .No indication of boiling .I used an infrared contactless termometer. New radiator .And filled with glycol to freeze temp. -15C .May be I need to drill out the waterways in block.  If temp. are too high.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - bob46320 - 30-09-2019

1932 Rn saloon, 4 blade fan, front tank, new modern core radiator rainwater (No Antifreeze):-
Fuel tank 53 deg C
Carburettor 50 deg C
inlet Manifold 72 deg C
Radiator top 77 deg C
Ambient Air 33 deg C (SW France)

if you are running at 120C, I would say you have a problem that needs to be seen to. its only the Glycol that is preventing a boil over.

Follow the thread "Running Temperature"

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Chris KC - 30-09-2019

Using glycol antifreeze will make the engine run hotter...

On the other hand, if it's not boiling then what's the problem exactly? The head is the hottest external part of the engine and by definition would be a bit hotter than the coolant.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Steve kay - 30-09-2019

Chris

Are you sure about the highest temperature readings. Whilst admittedly never on a Seven, what I've seen is that exhaust manifolds are usually the places that are  hotter.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Mogens - 30-09-2019

I know that use of glycol rise the boiling point , and the head is a bit hotter than coolant ,inlet to radiator top tank was about 80C  . I have had the inlet & outlet manifold off .And poked with junior hack saw blade ,nearly closed at inlet .   I know it may be a can of worms ,because 2 of head studs are oversize . Anyway it can be driven as is . Must wait till I have the engine out , for clutch adjustment,  left side rear engine foot broken, will not have a good MOT , this Year I think ,rear mirror ,must be dipping front light, brake light needed, flashing indicators . Permission to get a registration attest without the original  1929  to show the Mot man.
 Will not run out of work to do .

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Reckless Rat - 30-09-2019

You do not need dipping headlamps for the MOT. What is acceptable is a "matched pair of headlamps the beams of which are permanently directed downwards so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic".

You do NOT need to fit flashing indicators either.

Brake lights, yes, a matched pair as per rear lights, and reflectors

Unless, of course you take the car for MOT with no lights at all fitted. You get what's called a "daylight" MOT.

Take the car to a testing station where someone knows what they're talking about regarding old cars.

And assuming that the car is registered as being pre 1960 then you're not legally required to present it for MOT anyway, as it's exempt.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - andrew34ruby - 30-09-2019

(30-09-2019, 06:15 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You do not need dipping headlamps for the MOT. What is acceptable is a "matched pair of headlamps the beams of which are permanently directed downwards so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic".

You do NOT need to fit flashing indicators either.

Brake lights, yes, a matched pair as per rear lights, and reflectors

Unless, of course you take the car for MOT with no lights at all fitted. You get what's called a "daylight" MOT.

Take the car to a testing station where someone knows what they're talking about regarding old cars.

And assuming that the car is registered as being pre 1960 then you're not legally required to present it for MOT anyway, as it's exempt.

But he is in Denmark, the test might be different there.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Chris KC - 30-09-2019

Fair comment Steve!

Nonetheless to have the head running a bit above coolant temp does not seem unusual. Whether it should get to that temp on a 10 mile drive at 35mph is another matter and affected by numerous things. A cooling system clean-up might very well be beneficial but whether it is needed is hard to say.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Reckless Rat - 30-09-2019

Doh!

Didn't spot that, my mistake. However, I believe the pre-1960 rule is an EU directive so I might not be too far wrong.

RE: Temperature on head after a drive ? - Dennis Nicholas - 05-10-2019

In the Reliant Scimitar world recent discussions have people using (lidle's) Coke as a clean out/flushing to great effect for the waterways  Smile

Denis