The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Copper inlet manifold? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Copper inlet manifold? (/showthread.php?tid=3357)

Pages: 1 2

Copper inlet manifold? - Special Bits - 29-09-2019

Hi, I'm after some advice from the collective wisdom here.

I have ideas of trying various inlet manifold designs on our cars, including one to fit an Aisin blower to the Ulsteroid. What I am interested in is the feasibility of making prototypes from Copper pipe. It would seem to have many advantages and few drawbacks, but maybe I am missing something? I have it in the back of my mind that you cant use copper as it reacts with the fuel, or is that exhaust gas? obviously fuel pipes are copper, but they don't carry fuel and air...

I anticipate cracking to be a potential issue, but will that be after an hours running or 10,000 miles?

Those who are friends on facebook will know I am also experimenting with casting aluminium at home, using a BBQ and paint stripping blower! Ultimately I will make whatever works best in cast Aluminium, but copper pipe manifolds should be quick and easy to knock up in the garage.

All the best

Stuart Palmer

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - bob46320 - 30-09-2019

Silver solder the joints ?

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Derek Sheldon - 30-09-2019

I remember that back in my youth it was said that you were not allowed to use copper in an exhaust system as the copper reacted with the exhaust fumes making the gases toxic.

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Special Bits - 30-09-2019

Yes, silver soldering the joints.

It must be the use for exhaust gas that I recall.

Has anyone ever come across a copper inlet manifold?

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Mike Costigan - 30-09-2019

Rolls Royce Silver Ghost?

.jpg   Rolls-Royce-Silver-Ghost-1914-engine-900x600.jpg (Size: 214.83 KB / Downloads: 442)

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Chris KC - 30-09-2019

Derek is correct, it is technically illegal I understand to make an exhaust pipe from copper. I ran a huge copper bunchonanas on my Nippy for years and must have killed thousands. I suspect it's theoretically true under lab conditions but once it's coated in soot the copper never touches exhaust gas. (Much like aluminium corrosion). For an inlet I can't see why not, unless charge heating is an issue.

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Colin Wilks - 30-09-2019

Looks like it's OK for Mercedes Benz too. 
Came across this yesterday, during a break from being the world's greatest grandad.
https://youtu.be/xMa3_tT5mKA

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Parazine - 01-10-2019

I made a special copper inlet manifold in order to fit a SU to the Chummy.

It's made from 28mm central heating bends, a "tee" piece and pipe, silver soldered together. The vacuum wiper take-off was added as well. The flanges were made from 8mm brass plate, drilled and filed to shape.
It all works remarkably well. No sign of stress fractures yet (but it's only been on for about 3000 miles) and reasonable gas flow.

It was the only way to get the SU on with enough head of petrol for gravity feed and fit it under the Chummy bonnet...…...

I have since purchased a genuine "Derrington" cast aluminium inlet manifold, made for fitting a SU to a vintage 7 but unfortunately, it's cracked. I ought to repair it as it might give me enough space to fit an air filter. Or it could be used as a pattern to have a batch cast - anyone interested??

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - Zetomagneto - 01-10-2019

Nice work Parazine, looks neat and tidy

RE: Copper inlet manifold? - bob46320 - 02-10-2019

This one is in for welding at the moment,  Made from a standard 32 Inlet manifold.