The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Silicon sump gasket - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Silicon sump gasket (/showthread.php?tid=2968)

Pages: 1 2 3

Silicon sump gasket - John Mason - 19-06-2019

Hi all, I have just purchased a silicon sump gasket for my Ruby. I assumed that it is put on dry without any sealant. Can forum members confirm this and give any advice on fitting. I intend doing it without taking the engine out just lifting it a little to enable me to get the sump pan out and then back in again.

John Mason

RE: Silicon sump gasket - Ruairidh Dunford - 19-06-2019

I fit them dry.

RE: Silicon sump gasket - Colin Morgan - 19-06-2019

How much better are they at sealing than the original paper gasket, please? (I have one here, but, as it is not fitted, I am not seeing the benefit at the moment! Worth fitting at the next oil change?)

RE: Silicon sump gasket - "Slack Alice" Simon - 20-06-2019

With silicon sump and block base gasket my oil leaks, which were quite dramatic, disappeared.

It is a bit of a balancing act between tightening the bolts and how much the gasket squeezes - I expect Ruairidh with his extended experience knows exactly how to do it.

I am still experimenting.  I have changed nearly every gasket for a silicon one, including replacing fibre washers in the sump plug and water manifold nuts.

Got a leak from the valve chest I cannot stop, though   But I haven't tried the silicon moulded strip replacement there, yet.

RE: Silicon sump gasket - Colin Morgan - 20-06-2019

Thanks - I did wonder if there might be a knack to getting a seal, with the gasket being thicker and squashy - perhaps Ruairidh has a pet torque figure he uses for this??

Colin

RE: Silicon sump gasket - Ruairidh Dunford - 20-06-2019

Simon's method is the same as mine - enough squish to seal, without pushing it out!

Cleanliness is imperative.

By the way, on my Ruby I can get the sump pan out without lifting the engine, with a bit of jiggling.

Colin

RE: Silicon sump gasket - Ruairidh Dunford - 20-06-2019

That should be the case Colin - some of the late SWB chassis can be tight but not the later type, in my experience.

RE: Silicon sump gasket - John Mason - 20-06-2019

Nice to hear you can get it on and off without lifting the engine. Colin is yours a Mk1 or Mk2 Ruby. Does it make a difference what Ruby it is as they both use the same sump gasket.

John Mason

John - it is a Mk2 - but I think, echoing what Ruairidh says, they are the same in this regard.

Colin