The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
1932 Saloon Restoration - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 1932 Saloon Restoration (/showthread.php?tid=2363)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

1932 Saloon Restoration - WiandeV - 07-02-2019

Hi Guys and Girls

I am new here an a bit new the the Austin family. I have inherited my grandfathers 1932 RP saloon if that is what it is. It has been standing in a state off disassembly for the past 20 years. Until it came up to me and I drove it under its own power onto a trailer where it went into storage for the past couple off years. 

I pulled it out recently to start the restoration, or rather finish it off.

I come from the classic mini scene so all this is fairly new to me. 

First question, is there a parts guide somewhere so I can check what is there and what I need to get? The mechanical stuff is all there and everything works bar the dynamo. I am more worried about all the little rubbers and seals for the doors windows and hood. The sun roof also needs a whole bunch of parts. 

Cheers

Wian

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Greig Smith - 07-02-2019

Wian, welcome aboard the Friends Forum, nice to have another Saffer here

If you visit the coast on holiday, pop into PE and we can talk 7's and Mini's... better still you can finish my Mini and I'll watch you and talk 7's... <grin>

Cheers
Greig

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - John Mason - 07-02-2019

Hi WiandeV, many parts can be obtained from cherished suppliers detail of which can be found on the internet however most are in the Uk. Most do overseas orders and you can view there catalogues on the net. Just type in Austin Seven Spares and it should bring up a list.

John Mason

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Martin Prior - 07-02-2019

(07-02-2019, 10:30 AM)WiandeV Wrote: Hi Guys and Girls

I am new here an a bit new the the Austin family. I have inherited my grandfathers 1932 RP saloon if that is what it is. It has been standing in a state off disassembly for the past 20 years. Until it came up to me and I drove it under its own power onto a trailer where it went into storage for the past couple off years. 

I pulled it out recently to start the restoration, or rather finish it off.

I come from the classic mini scene so all this is fairly new to me. 

First question, is there a parts guide somewhere so I can check what is there and what I need to get? The mechanical stuff is all there and everything works bar the dynamo. I am more worried about all the little rubbers and seals for the doors windows and hood. The sun roof also needs a whole bunch of parts. 

Cheers

Wian

Hi Wian. 

Everything you'll need for your RP is readily available.  

If you haven't already found it, look at the Austin Seven Clubs' Association website www.a7ca.org - full of useful information and contacts.  Try the "always quote this number" http://a7ca.org/downloads/QuoteThisNumber.pdf link to help you find all of the identification numbers - If you can locate the body number on the transmission tunnel, that'll confirm whether your car is an RP.

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - WiandeV - 11-02-2019

So a bit slow but I stripped out the only remaining piece of original wood out of the car to replace it. It is the piece above the LHS door. Making a new one is easy but then I started wondering what would be used to attach the gutter again? 

What was originally used? Does it hold he gutter and two panels and wood strip together?

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Martin Prior - 11-02-2019

(11-02-2019, 07:27 AM)WiandeV Wrote: So a bit slow but I stripped out the only remaining piece of original wood out of the car to replace it. It is the piece above the LHS door. Making a new one is easy but then I started wondering what would be used to attach the gutter again? 

What was originally used? Does it hold he gutter and two panels and wood strip together?
Yes.  The piece of wood that you're talking about is used to fix the gutter on the outside and the headlining on the inside.  It runs the full length of the roof.

The attached photos show one of our RP timber sets, with everything more-or-less in their correct relative positions.

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - WiandeV - 11-02-2019

That is great. I see in any case that I miss those small hockey stick shape bits that tie in the door frame to the sunroof. I have steel ones on each side.

What screws would be used to hold the gutters to the wood frame?

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Ruairidh Dunford - 11-02-2019

Interestingly, Martin and I have spoken about this very recently as I have an early RN here with metal brackets in place of the wooden ones as well.

Do you have photos please?

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Bob Culver - 11-02-2019

Hi Martin

First the doors now this. I now feel totally inadequate! Others tried but failed!

I trust the RP you are restoring is not the rusted remnant recently used to illustrate the sills enquiry? I thought my car had been rusty but never in that league! Fortunately although a deluxe it never had a sunroof. I feel guilty about the steel panel fitted 70 years ago after seeing rocks fall in the Manawatu Gorge (which Google) but it keeps the woodwork simple.

RE: 1932 Saloon Restoration - Ruairidh Dunford - 11-02-2019

Here is the metal bracket on the RN here...