The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil (/showthread.php?tid=2308)

Pages: 1 2

Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - mk1-mark - 30-01-2019

First, Thanks for all the help recently, it is much appreciated.

My lad managed to get the clutch changed over Christmas & all seems to be working very well indeed.  He has however noticed that there is now a fairly considerable oil leak coming from the gearbox / clutch housing area.  We have both read up on this both using the search & elsewhere & have determined that he has either;

A) Overfilled the gearbox.  He used the specified 2/3 of a pint.  Where as people seem to be recommending just 1/2 a pint.  Is this correct?

B) Damaged a seal around the 1st moting shaft of the box.  Is this easy to do?

As a plan of action is is worth emptying & re filling the gearbox to just 1/2 a pint & seeing what happens or should we pull it to bits again sharpish to avoid saturating the clutch plate with oil?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - Ruairidh Dunford - 30-01-2019

Is the leak engine or gearbox oil Mark?

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - mk1-mark - 30-01-2019

It appears to be Gearbox oil, but it is difficult to tell as both are clean as a whistle at the moment.

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - Ruairidh Dunford - 30-01-2019

If it turns out to be engine oil you may want to investigate the rear main seal/thrower.

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - Reckless Rat - 30-01-2019

I would drain the oil and see how much comes out. If it's a 4 speeder then you definitely don't need a lot of oil. 1/2 pint is probably enough, just to the bottom of the threads on the filler hole.

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - Chris KC - 30-01-2019

If that's your only leak Mark you're doing alright...

There aren't any gearbox seals unless it's a very late Ruby. Unlikely he's damaged anything unless he's been belting it with a hammer.

Are you sure it wasn't leaking before? If so focus first on what your lad has done (or indeed undone) when he did the clutch job.

There are two or three fittings behind the flywheel which could leak oil but more likely the rear main as Ruairidh suggests.
Oil emerging from the block - crankcase joint or oil pressure gauge fitting can also find its way under the flywheel cover.

Personally I'd continue running and keep an eye on the oil levels!

Thanks for the encouragement / suggestions.  It's a 3 speed box.  The engine / gearbox was dripping a bit before Adam did the clutch, but it seems to be a lot worse now.  The scroll seal behind the flywheel was good before, so I can't see why it should have given up now.

I think as a first line of attack we will check the oil level in the gearbox & take it from there.

I'll keep you posted.

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - John Mason - 30-01-2019

Mark, As a guide engine oil if it has been in the engine for a few hundred miles or so goes black with carbon. Gear box oil is like it goes in when new relatively clear so you should be able to work out where the oil is coming from. Engine or gearbox .

John Mason.

As I said above, both the engine oil & the gearbox oil is fresh as a daisy & perfectly clean at the moment so it is impossible to tell what it is at the moment.

But thanks for the heads up, it is appreciated.

RE: Another stupid question - Clutch & Oil - AustinWood - 30-01-2019

On the 3-speed box the engine oil dip stick also works on the gearbox. It goes in through the the filler plug on the top and needs to be fiddled past the gears to rest on the bottom of the box.