The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Hershey 2018 - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Hershey 2018 (/showthread.php?tid=1938)

Pages: 1 2

Hershey 2018 - Tony Betts - 28-10-2018

Hi all,
As its a Sunday it gives me a bit of time to do you all a revue on Hershey swap meet.

For those of you who don't know about Hershey, it's always been put forward as the largest car show in the world. ( well everything is bigger in America ).

It runs from Wednesday to saterday, but many many people attend from Tuesday as this is the set up day, often were many of the bargains are picked up.

If anyone can post an overhead pic of the event, please do so. As I couldn't get that high to show the true size of the event.

Hershey is aprox a 2 1/2 hour drive in from Newark airport for us. And is held in the carparks of the famous Hershey chocolate factory. So nowadays it's all hard standing.

Cost of entry is FREE if you are on foot, but not many people are close enough to do that. Or be dropped of, so for most people there is a car parking charge of $15 a day just across the road. You can have as many people in the car as you want. A system that works well.

Hershey can be hit or miss the first time you go, you either love the sheer diversity of everything, or if your interest is a lot narrower you may not get it.

Time for some pics, as there is rearly any austin 7 interest here. here are a couple of bantams.

[attachment=4277]

I was sure when I looked at this car on Tuesday morning it was up for sale for $7,900 Ono.

But when I took the picture Wednesday it was then $9,900 Ono?

Sometimes it's my mind playing tricks.
But then again the Americans have strange ways of selling things. Perhaps like others I should have snapped up the early bargain.

[attachment=4281]

If you prefer a project.

There was this? 

Can you tell what it is yet?

[attachment=4282]

Yep, in the last pic I beleive the rusty body in two parts in the foreground is a two seat bantam, and you can see the rad surround for a bantam on a trailer in the background.

Heres the rest of the kit.

[attachment=4283]

RE: Hershey 2018 - Stuart Giles - 28-10-2018

Nice photos Tony, it always amazes me how many American Austin/Bantam cars and bits turn up at US car shows. I went a show at Jefferson, Wisconsin last year and there were two Bantams for sale  there. 

Here's a pic from the air of the 2005 Hershey show. It's grown a bit bigger since then. My first time at this show; couldn't make it over there this year as some health issues have meant no flying for me for most of this year.

[Image: 43778820420_928ae2f2f4_c.jpg]

Instead of bringing back a teeshirt from the 2005 show, I bought this 1950 truck instead. This pic was taken just after the DVLA issued the number plate for it. The Hershey "Car Corral" sticker is still in the windscreen. I still have this truck, it's tremendous fun to drive and just lopes along on a motorway. 

[Image: 30655535857_7962fea046_c.jpg]

RE: Hershey 2018 - Tony Betts - 28-10-2018

Tuesday and Wednesday this year was hot, I mean hi 80s 90s. We have had this in previous years. Due to a hurricane blowing up from the south. This means it traps all the heat in the north.

Not the best weather for us, especially walking around all day getting dehydrated. Although the traditional tea and doughnut at 11am and a meet up with friends helps the blood sugar levels.

These first two days are all about finding those bargains. Which after the rise of the Internet, and the success of the American pickers. Makes those bargains very thin on the ground now.

Enamel sign all seam to have an extra 0 on the end of them nowadays.
Same with the early tins and other advertising. 

Talking to traders we have gotten to know over the years, there remarks to American pickers and TODAYS prices, rang true. (Not everyone have the Internet, but EVERYONE has a TV).so everyone is more clued up.

In saying that we did find some nice items to bring back. Items for our micro museum?
Although if my business head was on, we could have dropped some items into a local auction. And made a killing.

Here are some pics of cars that really cought my eye.

[attachment=4285]

[attachment=4286]

[attachment=4287]

If my memory serves me well, this is a Brewster.

Check the rad surround, and the stunning cutback on the wings. Rather than a standard vertical edge.

Something else.

[attachment=4288]

[attachment=4289]

Always love the early stuff.

[attachment=4290]

Hi stuart,
Thanks for the overhead shot.

Hope you are getting better.

As you know it's always great to have you, chris and the rest of the gang out there with us.

Here is a lovely WHITE.

The curved glass is to die for.

[attachment=4291]

But could someone ask JAY LENO to shift so I can get some more pics for you all.

[attachment=4292]

Yes it's realy LENO,

If you don't know who he is, he does have his name on his jacket?

Google him.

Tracy had wandered further down the stalls, so I called here back. And she suggested she would love to shake his hand.

So I asked Leno if he would meet the misses, what a brilliant bloke. Not only did he say hello, he suggested photos, ( sorry I can't show pics as tracy beleive it or not is shy about putting them on the Internet). He noticed the British accents, and stopped to talk about cars. And the usual British weather.

A great day.

RE: Hershey 2018 - Howard Wright - 28-10-2018

Great pics Tony

I recognised the two door Bantam straight away as my special is "loosely" based on it.  

Hershey looks big but Beaulieu is growing  Smile.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Howard,
Glad you like the pics especially the bantams.

I have to disagree with beaulieu though.

Nothing against beaulieu, its the whole world changeing at the same time.

Nowadays everyone knows the value of everything. The TV and Internet has brought us it all.

I've stood beaulieu for aprox 28 years, first as central 7s and now 7 county austins. Beaulieu has seen more and more empty spaces, Especially in the last few years. Two years ago beaulieu introduced VAT to stall prices, and a large number of stall holders reduced the size of there pitches rather than pay more. Beaulieu must have done some advertising in Essen or something. As last year sore a large increase in European stall holders. My notice of this was due to looking at a lot of the early motorcycle parts being sold on these forign stalls. They were not cheap sellers though. I returned to one on Sunday to see if prices be closer to ours than there's. Three Frenchmen stood arguing in broken English that the show was poor and they had sold very little.

This year I noticed the euro influx had reduced to what it was, and all those stalls are now empty. It was one of the big topics between stall holders this year.

You no longer have to waite for a stall to become free at beaulieu.

As I say I have nothing against beaulieu, I can only report what I and many other see.

This brings me to my next part of Hershey, after the highs of meeting jay leno. I have to point out that with all the price risses stall holders are obviously finding it hard to buy at a price they can make anything.

The only result from this is stall holders either reduce there pitch size or stop going.

This can hopefully be seen in my next pic, the whole of the left hand Isle a few years ago was stalls, now it's filled by stall holders parking there cars. As I say it's the same worldwide.

Hershey can't even blame it on expensive stall prices, I think current stall prices are $85.00 for the week. were as September beaulieu is something like £170.00

[attachment=4293]

RE: Hershey 2018 - Stuart Joseph - 28-10-2018

Tony & Tracey, thanks for the Hershey report and pics,  I have always wanted to visit but something has always got in the way. I find the Bantam a very attractive car (and some of the derivatives - the van particularly so).

I fully endorse your comments about Beaulieu having attended since 1974 with the exception of one year when son Chis went and did better than I would have done. The Beaulieu organisers are becoming more officious, my request for a second show guide was met with disdain - one per booking irrespective of how many pitches you have booked! However all being well I will attend again next year as much as anything to meet up with old lags like yourselves, Mr. Austineer et al.

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart

Thursday Came, and so did the hurricane.

It had been slowed down across land, but it was wet and windy.

I don't like to spend the whole week in the autojumble, it gets to much. And you stop enjoying it.

So we took the day having a drive in the country side, travel a little East and you step into Amish country. Very scenic. Stopped at a few antique shops. A spot of dinner etc. Very nice.

In some ways friday was the best day of the week.

The storm blew through over night, and friday was dry and a lot cooler. More like an engish autumn. The only problem is it's the end of the week, and veery few bargains left.

So we gave up around 2.30pm and took a rest in the sports bar. Cold beer and good food.

To show how things differ in price, I sold an identical sign at spring beaulieu this year for £500 to a guy putting it into his cycle museum in Germany.
This stall holder was asking £3,500 for the same sign, same condition.

[attachment=4295]

Another nice sign, I've not seen one like it before.

Again, couldn't warrant paying the high prices.

[attachment=4296]

There's always plenty of rusty pumps.

[attachment=4297]

If you are looking for an everyday truck.

I love this one.

[attachment=4298]

If you are into tin toy, then brake out a new mortgage. It's all gone the same way as signs. Probably due to Mike and frank showing everyone how they overpay.

Although the auction prices have probably overtaken the pickers.

Or you could just buy this.

The Eiffel, or Blackpool tower in mechano.

[attachment=4299]

Saterday is the last day.

And is celabrated with a static car rally.

Sadly this is were I let you all down, I'm not really into static rally's. Even though Hershey brings out some stunning cars.

Instead we decided to do something as equally stoopid as the black mail box, and little alien inn.

Has anyone seen the film Groundhog Day with Bill murrey. One of my favourites.

Well if you leave at 7 in the morning and travel north from Hershey for 3 hours. Yes 3 hours. Then you will come to the little town of Punxsutawney. And if you are lucky you get to see Punxsutawney phil.

The weather telling groundhog.

Hope you all enjoyed Hershey, as sunday is a day to fly home.

I'll sort a few more pics I like as I get time.

Thank you all, Tony.

Well we had a little job to do first, before flying back. finalise a deal on a couple of frogeyes. Or bug eyes to those on the other side of the pond.

[attachment=4300]

RE: Hershey 2018 - Damian GT - 28-10-2018

Brilliant thread Tony - thanks for sharing it - glad you are having a fab time..

RE: Hershey 2018 - Ruairidh Dunford - 28-10-2018

Very interesting - please continue!!

RE: Hershey 2018 - Colin Morgan - 28-10-2018

Love the 'everyday truck' too - imagine getting it running and back on the road... and parking it at Asda among the BMWs?  

Colin