Austinsevenfriends
Hong Kong Sevens! - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Hong Kong Sevens! (/showthread.php?tid=193)

Hong Kong Sevens! - David.H - 04-09-2017

.jpg   IMG_9508.JPG chitti.JPG (Size: 127.36 KB / Downloads: 365) Not the oval ball type!
I have almost got a 1932 AG tourer with an interesting history. It went from Hong Kong to California in 1971/72. It has what I think is a Hong Kong Tax Disc that ran out 31.10 70, and a registration number AP 9057. it's colour was blue/black. (now yellow/black) There are some Chinese characters on the white & Black disc as well.
As yet I don't have the Chassis etc numbers confirmed, so cannot identify the car 100%, but it is a short chassis steel body "Chummy " style
Any one got any information? Even abut HK registration numbers

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - Timothy P - 04-09-2017

Hello, what well travelled car. Very nice to have the old tax disk.
From what I can ascertain Hong Kong started the sequence of AA#### followed by AB####, AC#### etc then BB, BC, and so on (They didn't us BA to start with but since have auctioned them) in 1958. With this in mind and 9999 numbers for each prefix, it seems likely that AP was issued some time in the 60's. One note I have seen, says AD was being issued in the early 60's, so possibly later in the 60's for an AP prefix, probably not many years before that tax disk must have been issued. Info I found HERE.
Intrigued to hear if you find out any more about the cars travels.

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - David.H - 04-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 03:12 PM)Timothy P Wrote: Hello, what well travelled car. Very nice to have the old tax disk.
From what I can ascertain Hong Kong started the sequence of AA#### followed by AB####, AC#### etc then BB, BC, and so on (They didn't us BA to start with but since have auctioned them) in 1958. With this in mind and 9999 numbers for each prefix, it seems likely that AP was issued some time in the 60's. One note I have seen, says AD was being issued in the early 60's, so possibly later in the 60's for an AP prefix, probably not many years before that tax disk must have been issued. Info I found HERE.
Intrigued to hear if you find out any more about the cars travels.
Thanks Timothy for that information.
Owner is a bit hazy, but I am trying to find what I can...I will keep you all posted!
D

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - Timothy P - 04-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 06:06 PM)David.H Wrote: Thanks Timothy for that information.
Owner is a bit hazy, but I am trying to find what I can...I will keep you all posted!
D

Most welcome, I do like tracking down info on cars, always something new to learn.
Hope your search goes well.

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - Bill Sheehan - 05-09-2017

(04-09-2017, 06:17 PM)Timothy P Wrote:
(04-09-2017, 06:06 PM)David.H Wrote: Thanks Timothy for that information.
D

Most welcome, I do like tracking down info on cars, always something new to learn.
Hope your search goes well.
David - if, as you say, it's a steel-bodied Chummy, there's every chance that the body was built in Oz - so it may have travelled even more than that suggested!  (After 1924 the Chummy was imported in chassis form with floorpan and original aluminium scuttle only (apart of course from wings, lights etc).  Being a '32, that of course shouldn't apply, Seven bodies by then were mostly all steel, but worth a thought?.   Any chance of photos? - then we may be able to help more.   Cheers,  Bill

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - David.H - 05-09-2017

Now there is a thought! I have recently had an AG & this looks VERY similar, but I probably won't know until I get my hands on it & look for the AG on the transmission tunnel. I am pretty sure it has a later engine (small hint: an AC fuel pump - not connected!) & a scuttle tank & possibly a 4 speed box. Probably hasn't run for 25-30 years, but the engine turns over nicely......so ever the optimist, my last 2 cars fired up with a little TLC after a long slumber.
All will be clear in about 6 weeks!

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - Martin Prior - 06-09-2017

UK, Australia(?), Hong Kong, California and (presumably) back to the UK!

My RP is almost the same age and as far as I am aware has never ventured out of Herefordshire for more than three weeks at a stretch!

RE: Hong Kong Sevens! - David.H - 06-09-2017

I think there is a good chance that the Chassis number is 151214.