The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Transferring a registration number to an A7 (/showthread.php?tid=1870)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Ian M - 11-10-2018

I'm seeking some guidance about a slightly unusual situation regarding a registration number transfer. A double transfer, in fact.

Some time ago, I owned a Morris 8 and sold it after a while in favour of something else. The new owner kept it for a few years, but when they eventually sold it, the car went abroad. In order to prevent the complete loss of the original registration upon export, the foreign buyer suggested that they retain the number. This they did and simply put the number onto their modern car.

Fast forward to just a few days ago and I have kindly been offered the opportunity to buy the number from them, as they are in the process of selling the (modern) car that's currently wearing it. This idea is very attractive to me, as I have a Ruby that has worn an age-related plate since being dragged out of a barn 35 years ago, and I naturally like the idea of giving it a number that has been in my possession in the past.

The seller has offered to arrange transfer directly to the Ruby, which is fine, except that I am concerned about the possibility of unnecessarily losing the present age-related number in the process. As it was issued such a long time ago, I don't think it has non-transferrable status, but I'm not sure if it's possible to tell from the V5C alone. The other concern is whether there are any conditions to removing the present number from the Ruby and putting it onto retention in my name. Of course, I've been reading up about this at the DVLA website, but I'm still not really clear about the whole thing. I remember that in the past it was necessary for a vehicle to have an MoT before the number can be removed. If so, that could be problematic, as the car is presently not roadworthy, although it is taxed and insured.

Has anyone else had recent experience of a scenario similar to the above? Many thanks.

Just to add to the above, this is the page at the DVLA website I am now studying. Another thing that's not clear is how I would tie the two transfers together. The DVLA website states that upon removing the number (from the Ruby), an alternative is allocated automatically, but of course I don't want that. The number originally from the Morris 8 is intended to take its place.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/take-private-number-off

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Edgar Lowe - 11-10-2018

Hi
I am in a similiar situation, I have an old registration on retention which I need to put on my 1930 Ulster which has an aged related number.
I spoke to DVLA and the reply was:
The modern car should be taxed and MOT.
You need to do a volontary MOT for the Austin to prove that it is in running condition not a pile of bits.
And depending on your V5c for the Austin page 2 top Validation character. That character will determine if you can keep your aged related number and put it on retention.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Rick F - 11-10-2018

Aren't age related/reclaimed numbers on historic vehicles non-transferable?

Not sure how the system works, as I have never transferred a number, but if you can't transfer the existing number off the Ruby, presumably you can't transfer another onr on?

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Mike Costigan - 11-10-2018

I have two cars, one with a recent DVLA issued 'age-related' number, the other with its original number which had not been licensed since 1960, and had to be reclaimed when the car was restored. Both have the declaration on the V5C that the number is non-transferable. Presumably if the V5C does not have that declaration, then the number is available for transfer.

Theoretically all 'age-related' numbers are issued on a non-transferable basis, but Swansea's pen-pushers aren't always that careful, and I have had two numbers which I have been able to transfer when the cars were sold overseas ... If a number is 'voided' as a result of a 'cherished transfer', then DVLA cannot re-issue the number, and it will be re-allocated to the same  car if the 'cherished'number is subsequently removed, at which point it will (should!) be then non-transferable.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Ian M - 11-10-2018

Thank you, all, for your helpful replies.

A few minutes ago, I visited the DVLA page that I posted the link to above, where I clicked on the "Take off a number online" button. My understanding from what I've seen elsewhere on the DVLA site is that the existing number must first be removed from the Austin, otherwise it is likely to be lost. After completing the required fields to begin the process, the site came back with a message stating that my request could only be processed by post, using a V317 form. No indication of why this is so.

Rick F questioned whether age-related/reclaimed numbers on historic vehicles are all non-transferable. I think that's mostly the case, but maybe those allocated a long time ago were not subject to this restriction. My V5C definitely makes no reference to this.

On the basis that my Austin may need to be subject to an inspection and/or MoT, I can't see any means to transfer the ex-Morris 8 number to it immediately. I suppose I should therefore look into taking the number on a retention-only basis and transferring it to the Austin later, once I've got it back on the road and MoT tested.

I'm informed that the ex-Morris 8 number has now been removed from the modern car and held on a retention certificate with the owner. My main question now is whether I can acquire the number on the basis of keeping it under retention in my own name until I am properly ready to transfer it to the Austin. I can't find anything on the DVLA site that makes that particular point clear.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Stuart Giles - 11-10-2018

The only time I've transferred a number, I was told that the "old" registration number would go on a virtual shelf at the DVLA, and that if the "new" number was taken off at any time, the original number would go back on the car again.

I was also given to understand that "non transferable" on the V5C meant that another registration number could be transferred onto such a car, but the existing registration could not be transferred to another car or retention certificate.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Nigel Ricardo - 11-10-2018

Why don't you transfer the number from the modern to a retention certificate for £80 which also covers the transfer to the Ruby when you are ready.

Edit : just read above, you can keep it on retention but make sure the vendor makes you the nominee so you can transfer it.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Ian M - 11-10-2018

Hi Nigel,

That was my question at the tail end of my previous post. The ex-Morris 8 number is now on retention with its owner, as he has sold the modern car it was on. So I'm seeking to clarify if it can go from retention in its current ownership to retention under my ownership.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Hedd_Jones - 11-10-2018

(11-10-2018, 05:18 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: The only time I've transferred a number, I was told that the "old" registration  number would go on a virtual shelf at the DVLA, and that if the "new" number was taken off at any time, the original number would go back on the car again.

I was also given to understand that "non transferable" on the V5C  meant that another registration number could be transferred onto such a car, but the existing registration could not be transferred to another car or retention certificate.
 Top paragraph in is my experience correct.

Very old traction engine from the isle of man, probably off the road pre 1921 and possibly never regiatered in the current system. Restored in cheshire by the mid 1990's got issurd an age related plate. Moved to and re registered to the isle of man in the 2000's. All done properly. Came back 5 or 6 years ago. DVLA notified. Got its 1990ish age related plate back.

RE: Transferring a registration number to an A7 - Ian M - 12-10-2018

Seems we've got it nailed now, following a brief conversation with the DVLA and a visit to the website below that explains the process in layman's terms. In short, I will effectively be able to receive the ex-Morris 8 number on retention and put it onto the Austin 7 at a time of my choosing. Likewise, I should be able to keep the present number from the Austin 7 on retention, by following the correct process prior to putting on the new number. I will get an MoT for the Austin beforehand, just to pre-empt any unwanted complications. Thank you to all who have commented.

https://www.simplyregistrations.co.uk/grantee-and-nominee-explained/