The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
All Alloy Cup progress - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: All Alloy Cup progress (/showthread.php?tid=1822)

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - Mike Costigan - 12-10-2020

Well, there you are then, Bill. You can visit Bolton and Wembley on the way to the ferry, and then do Boulogne and le Mans in a round trip; sounds like a plan!

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - AllAlloyCup - 24-10-2020

Found this nice Cup photo when following the link to an American Type 65.
Not seen this one before Ruairidh?

Taking the Giant Necchi Sewing machine to get fixed on Monday and then hope to make a start on making a Hood and sidescreens over the Winter for BF 7864

Good luck to all those lockdown A7 car builders!!!

Regards

Bill G

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - Mike Costigan - 25-10-2020

Lovely photo. The car is late 1920s (1927-28?) but the lady's dress would suggest the photo is mid/late-1930s.

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - Ruairidh Dunford - 25-10-2020

I think this is one of a series that sold on eBay in the last year. The tail mounted wheel and dogs are definitely familiar.

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - Tony Griffiths - 26-10-2020

(25-10-2020, 09:56 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Lovely photo. The car is late 1920s (1927-28?) but the lady's dress would suggest the photo is mid/late-1930s.
My fearsome English teacher still dressed like that in the very early 1960s. A lady, of course, though today that might not be the case....

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - AllAlloyCup - 27-10-2020

Has anyone with a Cup made their own hood and sidescreens for their car?

If so some tips would be appreciated. I’ve made the hood frame and the sidescreen frames and wondering whether to work directly with the hooding fabric I bought a while back
Actually it was hooding for Silvercross prams but having used it already for the tonneau, I think
it’s good enough for the hood etc as well.

Should I make patterns in cotton sheet ? Or other cheap fabric?

Hopefully my sewing machine will come from the mechanic shortly so I can get started to keep
the Covid blues at bay!!!

Regards

Bill G
Aka AllAlloyCup

Near the Scottish Border

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - squeak - 28-10-2020

Definitely with the pram fabric Bill, tie the frame down to reduce the bounce, hold the fabric in tension front to back and avoid sideways as you are marking out.

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - "Slack Alice" Simon - 28-10-2020

It is well worth getting a bit of practice on something cheap.

Try to get the "feel" of how the assembly goes round under the machine's foot, using any old fabric.

Not "any old" - it shouldn't have a pile and it shouldn't be stretchy.

You could get a bit of plastic to simulate the window from somewhere - a bottle maybe ----and it doesn't have to be clear to get the feel of the operation.

Then you need some material similar to the weight(s) of the final assembly, to get the "feel" again and, more importantly, the thread tensions correct.

Even offcuts of the final fabric will do.

How will you do the corners?  Right angled, spun on the needle in the down position?   Or a couple at an angle, turning the machine by hand?

How are you finishing off?   Backstitch?   Does the machine handle that motion with the thick material combination?

Is the machine foot the right one for the job?

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - AllAlloyCup - 29-10-2020

I
.jpeg   4EE95664-E3CF-4222-B353-E0CCD6888FC8.jpeg (Size: 100.42 KB / Downloads: 155)

Hefty machine , just been serviced and with new needles and some repairs
Only £70. Thanks everyone for the tips received so far.
I’ve got a selection of feet inc a piping foot.

The machine does not have a walking foot but may not matter . It can go backwards though handy
at the ends of a line of stitching.

Strong enough to sew through two layers of men’s leather belts!!! So the
Pram hooding fabric should be fine.

Bill G

RE: All Alloy Cup progress - Howard Wright - 29-10-2020

Hi Bill

It’s worth while practicing to get the thread tension right.  I found this had the biggest affect on the stitching.

Cheers

Howard