The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Paint colour - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Paint colour (/showthread.php?tid=1671)

Pages: 1 2

Paint colour - David.H - 03-09-2018

I am getting to the stage of deciding on colours for the ex Hong Kong AG tourer.
I think the original colours may have been maroon with black mudguards. (no UK records that I can find). In Hong Kong it was Blue Black on the tax disc, but the Blue was a rather insipid blue. These colours have been established by rubbing down through the layers. Then of course it had the violent yellow, black & rust plus filler from California via Ohio.
I have got the car back to it's mechanical specification in Hong Kong - as far as I can judge, but I am not keen on the Blue (possibly Valspar or the like!) it is a bit like the banners on this page!
Does anyone have a modern specification equivalent to the 1932 Maroon? As the short chassis tourer shown on
pp 8 & 9 of the "Coming of age" booklet would be appropriate.
David

RE: Paint colour - JonE - 03-09-2018

Maroon is one of the less transient ones! But then there is the light maroon and the dark maroon....

https://craftmaster.myshopify.com/products/austin-1930s

RE: Paint colour - Mike Costigan - 03-09-2018

Those Craftmaster colours look pretty good, although I am curious to see their Royal Blue is darker than their Dark Royal Blue!

RE: Paint colour - Chris KC - 03-09-2018

(03-09-2018, 07:05 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Those Craftmaster colours look pretty good, although I am curious to see their Royal Blue is darker than their Dark Royal Blue!

I have a colour-corrected monitor, but I still wouldn't put too much faith in an online colour chart personally...

RE: Paint colour - john williams - 04-09-2018

My RL Saloon is Maroon and Black, I was told years ago British Leyland Maroon B is an exact match for Austin Seven Maroon. My local paint supplier can make it up to order in cellulose.

RE: Paint colour - Adam Brown - 04-09-2018

(03-09-2018, 10:09 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 07:05 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Those Craftmaster colours look pretty good, although I am curious to see their Royal Blue is darker than their Dark Royal Blue!

I have a colour-corrected monitor, but I still wouldn't put too much faith in an online colour chart personally...

I run Craftmaster and I don't have a colour-corrected monitor! It's all done by eye very roughly for the online.

It is perfectly possible for a Royal Blue and Deep Royal Blue to be the wrong way around in reality.

Those two come from historic records rather than colours we've been able to measure, and both are the same colour according to what I've seen. 

I do not think the colours were ever offered in the same model year.

I could be wrong (happy to be proved so), historic colours are a total minefield of misinformation - and that's before you find the factory didn't always get it 100% consistent. Remember at the time most dealers and and refinishers would have either had the paint mixed to match locally or done it themselves and tinted it accordingly to match the vehicle in question.

RE: Paint colour - Chris KC - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 10:34 AM)Adam Brown Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 10:09 PM)Chris KC Wrote:

I run Craftmaster and I don't have a colour-corrected monitor! It's all done by eye very roughly for the online.

It is perfectly possible for a Royal Blue and Deep Royal Blue to be the wrong way around in reality.

Those two come from historic records rather than colours we've been able to measure, and both are the same colour according to what I've seen. 

I do not think the colours were ever offered in the same model year.

I could be wrong (happy to be proved so), historic colours are a total minefield of misinformation - and that's before you find the factory didn't always get it 100% consistent. Remember at the time most dealers and and refinishers would have either had the paint mixed to match locally or done it themselves and tinted it accordingly to match the vehicle in question.
Hi Adam! 

I'm quite sure you're right, it's hard enough getting a proper match for modern super-consistent paints. 

Let's not forget too that even original paint samples or colour charts have probably 'mellowed' considerably in 80 or 90 years....

I do have a book of original paint swatches from the twenties by the way if anyone is interested, various marques but not Austin I'm afraid.

RE: Paint colour - Adam Brown - 04-09-2018

[quote pid='15443' dateline='1536055834']
Hi Adam! 

I'm quite sure you're right, it's hard enough getting a proper match for modern super-consistent paints. 

Let's not forget too that even original paint samples or colour charts have probably 'mellowed' considerably in 80 or 90 years....

I do have a book of original paint swatches from the twenties by the way if anyone is interested, various marques but not Austin I'm afraid.
[/quote]

I'd be very interested in seeing such a book, doubly so if I could send it to the lab for them to scan the colours. I doubt you'd want to part with it? Such things are very hard to find!

You can email me on info@craftmasterpaints.co.uk if you wish. Even some pictures of the chart would be of great interest. 

It's my little pet project, pre war car colours. Nobody seems to want to buy the right colours (preferring their own shades) but it's nice to have them there for those who want that extra level of authenticity, and just because I like the research

RE: Paint colour - JonE - 04-09-2018

I was presuming that you'd scanned the Austin Belco swatches that the Association had access to, Adam? The Austin 10 Drivers club has some in its ownership too....

RE: Paint colour - Chris KC - 04-09-2018

(04-09-2018, 12:41 PM)Adam Brown Wrote: [quote pid='15443' dateline='1536055834']
Hi Adam! 

I'd be very interested in seeing such a book, doubly so if I could send it to the lab for them to scan the colours. I doubt you'd want to part with it? Such things are very hard to find!

You can email me on info@craftmasterpaints.co.uk if you wish. Even some pictures of the chart would be of great interest. 

It's my little pet project, pre war car colours. Nobody seems to want to buy the right colours (preferring their own shades) but it's nice to have them there for those who want that extra level of authenticity, and just because I like the research
[/quote]

Adam, I will bring it by some time - will contact first so you know I'm coming.