Austinsevenfriends
1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft (/showthread.php?tid=1298)

1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Stuart Joseph - 06-06-2018

Good afternoon all. Is the throttle cross shaft on a 1928/29 car straight or bent rather like a hump backed bridge?

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - bob46320 - 06-06-2018

On a '32 RN its straight. But that may not help you !

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Ruairidh Dunford - 06-06-2018

The ones on my cars, of that period, are straight behind the block Stuart.

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Stuart Joseph - 06-06-2018

Many thanks for the prompt replies but it begs the question to what model were the cranked ones fitted?

Stuart

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - JonE - 06-06-2018

Nippy - they have a sort of bulge...probably a couple of owners after one too if you have a spare!

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Tony Betts - 06-06-2018

1933 and 1934 models had them.

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Stuart Joseph - 06-06-2018

Many thanks  for the responses, straight it is then.

Stuart

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Bill Sheehan - 07-06-2018

(06-06-2018, 06:36 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Many thanks  for the responses, straight it is then.

Stuart
Stuart - another difference between the '29 cross shaft as opposed to say a Ruby one - the two mounting blocks are round on the vintage shafts, whereas the later ones are square with only their outer ends chamfered off.  If you have a lathe or a file with a lot of patience you can easily convert the  later one to look kosher.  As I don't have either in front of me I'll check tomorrow that there's not a slight difference at the final end at-or-after the right-angle bend.  If you care to send me an email on ausevenoz@gmail.com  I can forward direct a sketch of what yours should look like, with measurements.  Good Luck,  Cheers,   Bill in Oz

RE: 1928/29 throttle cross shaft - Stuart Joseph - 07-06-2018

(07-06-2018, 01:26 AM)Bill Sheehan Wrote:
(06-06-2018, 06:36 PM)Stuart Joseph Wrote: Many thanks  for the responses, straight it is then.

Stuart
Stuart - another difference between the '29 cross shaft as opposed to say a Ruby one - the two mounting blocks are round on the vintage shafts, whereas the later ones are square with only their outer ends chamfered off.  If you have a lathe or a file with a lot of patience you can easily convert the  later one to look kosher.  As I don't have either in front of me I'll check tomorrow that there's not a slight difference at the final end at-or-after the right-angle bend.  If you care to send me an email on ausevenoz@gmail.com  I can forward direct a sketch of what yours should look like, with measurements.  Good Luck,  Cheers,   Bill in Oz

Good day Bill. Thanks for the info, I had wondered about the round vs square mountings. I have sent a separate email.

Best regards Stuart.