The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" (/showthread.php?tid=7250)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Mike Costigan - 24-03-2022

I believe the RP restored by the late Dave Wilcox was in Dual Beaver:

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Frank Stoll - 24-03-2022

Hello,
very nice car and thanks for the photo, but I would say this is Pueblo Brown with Malay Brown Top!? At least these colours are very close to the colour cards published by the Austin Seven Clubs' Association. In worst case Dual Beaver and the Pueblo and Malay Browns are very similar.

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Archivist - 24-03-2022

I would caution against making colour assessments from what you see on your screen. There are many steps involved - accuracy of the original photo/image, accuracy of any scan that may have taken place and accuracy of the screen on the device you are using to view the image. Colour rendition is a particularly tricky thing.. Plus, of course, colours fade over time, no matter what their origin...

Hard and fast decisions on what or what you may not be seeing are diffficult...

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Frank Stoll - 24-03-2022

I totally agree with you that deciding whether colours are the same or not just by looking at a photo, a digital photo on a screen or even scanned originals in printed or digital version is nearly impossible. Nevertheless, the two colors shown in the photo are extremely similar to the scanned Austin Colour Cards that are defined as Pueblo and Malay Brown. Why should the very same colors suddenly change their names? Why should a two colour combination suddenly have a single name? Very mysterious...

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Mike Costigan - 24-03-2022

I may be wrong suggesting the Dave Wilcox car is Dual Beaver, especially since Publication 924C includes Blue Fine Lines with the Dual Beaver colour scheme - I can't imaging blue lines with that colour combination! Maybe Beaver was a Grey/Blue shade?

As for the use of a single name for a two-colour combination, I think that make sense when the the two colours are, say, Light and Dark versions of the same colour - it would be a bit cumbersome to describe the scheme as Light Beaver and Dark Beaver.

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Archivist - 24-03-2022

I don't know whether anyone has followed up on the post I made yesterday, but RAL 8070, chosen by A10DC as a match for Dark Beaver, looks like this...

The term "Dual Beaver" is interesting: in Publication 924C the list "Range of Colours" only mentions "Beaver", the list shows "Dual Beaver" and one publictaion later, namely 924D it has vanished completely and "Pueblo" and "Malay" appear. Although I undersatnd your point using a term twice, the term "Beaver" would not have been a problem, because "Brown" is also repeated twice in the list, but this is a linguistic problem...Oh Dear... the pedant in me takes over...

#Archivist
Hello Archivist,
thank you for the JPG that shows the RAL version of dark beaver, I also found that one on the internet and checked all other colours for potential RAL equivalents.

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Frank Stoll - 13-04-2022

Sorry and Hello,
yes, it's me again. I still have a question concerning the term "band". In the colour charts it says band, but does a blue band mean that the entire waist moulding is painted in blue or is this just a "bigger" blue  line / stripe than the fine lines? 
Kind regards 
Frank

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - David Stepney - 13-04-2022

I think that the term 'band' refers to the whole waist moulding. Certainly, on the standard cars, the waist moulding was painted in a darker shade of colour to the rest of the body. My own car was (I believe) Light Royal Blue with cobalt blue waist moulding, yellow coachlines and black wings. It still has the original cobalt blue waist moulding and yellow coachlines.

RE: late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top" - Frank Stoll - 13-04-2022

Hi David,
thank you for your reply. I try to create a general overview of all available possibilities... there are still some question marks but your answer fits to my assumption and my research.