The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 717 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 717 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 722 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 722 errorHandler->error_callback

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,070
» Latest member: RWBJR
» Forum threads: 7,893
» Forum posts: 95,402

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Stripped thread oilway bl...
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: Alan
1 hour ago
» Replies: 3
» Views: 31
Rear exhaust pipe
Last Post: Old Dave
1 hour ago
» Replies: 10
» Views: 188
Cobham Trial 2024
Last Post: Nick Salmon
1 hour ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 72
Compression testing
Last Post: Old Dave
2 hours ago
» Replies: 4
» Views: 256
Indicators flickering on ...
Last Post: Denis Sweeney
3 hours ago
» Replies: 14
» Views: 646
Crown Wheel Question
Last Post: Ruairidh Dunford
Yesterday, 11:17 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 738
Jumping out of 3rd gear
Last Post: Graham Barker
Yesterday, 10:04 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 132
Broken Crankshaft
Last Post: Nick Turley
Yesterday, 11:26 AM
» Replies: 10
» Views: 561
Front hubs
Last Post: Andy Bennett
Yesterday, 11:03 AM
» Replies: 19
» Views: 563
More bargain lathes
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
Yesterday, 10:21 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 73

High Ambient Temperature
Posted by: cwchrisp - 03-08-2020, 08:39 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (24)

Hello,
Would it be expected that an RM Saloon, without water pump, could operate in temperatures in excess of 35degrees C, without loss of significant amounts of coolant through the overflow vent?
Also, that the 22FZ carb. would not flood petrol through the top when normally it works well controlling the petrol level?
I am very interested to know if I have significant issues or I am expecting too much from an 89 year old car! (Its her birthday tomorrow! Smile )

Chris

Print this item

1/2 Charge Resistor - Advice Please.
Posted by: John P - 03-08-2020, 10:06 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (18)

Hi,

My Ulsteroid has a C35M dynamo and what I believe is a CF3 cut-out.

Neither the dynamo, cut out or switch panel incorporate a ½ charge resistor so at present I only get any charge in the winter position.

I’ve seen various suggestions of winding an open coil of resistance wire and attaching it between the dynamo terminals but it’s all a bit vague and having an exposed coil sound a bit vulnerable especially if it's not wound on a core.

Is there a proprietary wire wound resistor I could use and what sort of resistance / current capacity would I need?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

John.

Print this item

A single +60 thou piston
Posted by: Nick Lettington - 03-08-2020, 12:05 AM - Forum: Wants - Replies (6)

Does anyone have a single +60 thou piston in serviceable condition they're willing to part with... no rings needed. I'm trying to build up a spare engine for the ORT and have a block and three pistons...

TIA 

Nick

Print this item

Austin 7 Car Club 1926
Posted by: Tony Griffiths - 03-08-2020, 12:02 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (10)

Enthusiasm for the Seven started early. One wonders if any records survive of early clubs?:

This is currently on eBay, hand-written on the back "1926": https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233667471670?ul_noapp=true

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Drop arm ball removal
Posted by: John Mims - 02-08-2020, 07:09 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (21)

Has anybody got any tips for removing the ball from the drop arm on an RN? I need to get the drag link off because it is bent (a little bit).

I've tried to shift the ball with one of those screw-on ball joint separators that you use on modern cars, but it is proving to be very stubborn. I can't believe such a tiny taper can have so much grip. Everything is oily, so no apparent rust, and it all looks too fragile to whack (unlike a modern steering joint), or even use one of those drive-on wedge separators..

I haven't tried heat yet because it's a bit claustrophobic under there to have a flame.

Am I missing something?

John

Print this item

Celebrity A7 owner
Posted by: Stuart Joseph - 02-08-2020, 09:45 AM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (11)

Good morning. According to yesterday's Daily Mail Nick Hewer ex Apprentice  and presenter of Countdown owns a 1931 Swallow and a 1936 Opal.

I know that David Steele the politician owned one but what other well known people have been smitten by the A7 bug?

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart

Print this item

motorbike glasses/reflectors?
Posted by: JonE - 01-08-2020, 10:27 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

has anyone tried one of these... or any of the other 6 1/2" fare?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-TRIUMPH-N...SwjVFe~YGp
Not sure what the bulb fitting is, but would save the faff of having to bond glass to new reflector units.

Print this item

Semi-girling brake shoe springs
Posted by: RupertW - 01-08-2020, 06:41 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (12)

Hello all, just doing a trial fit of a semi-girling conversion from hydraulic. The shoes appear to have had the original spring mounting points removed so they pull straighter, so they're not entirely standard. My issue is that the springs I have seem to be very tight. I'm not sure if I have the wrong springs or if it's the modified shoes - picture below hopefully. I know brake shoe springs can be tight, but this is more than I've experienced before. I'm fairly cautious with springs so it might be a case of just needed to put a bit more effort in, but just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!
attachment=10940]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Cylinder head
Posted by: David.H - 01-08-2020, 03:22 PM - Forum: Wants - Replies (2)

I may need a replacement head for my  1927  AD.Currently it has one marked  XL 1253 ED with priming plugs, would be nice to have like for like, but...
Not a late one though
W.H.Y?

Print this item

Loss of power under load
Posted by: Peter Naulls - 01-08-2020, 02:25 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (21)

My Ruby is in frequent use often covering 40 miles a day. Recently I noticed it was hesitant under load, normally towards the end of the 20-mile daily commute, sometimes popping on the overrun. It has gradually got worse and now fluffs /splutters between gear changes and struggles on hills. The first 5 miles of the journey are fine but this is gradually decreasing. Starts ok and idles fine, picks up from idle without hesitation runs well under minimal load.

I have changed the coil, condenser and rotor arm. Checked the points gap, checked battery voltage (6.4v). Plug leads are about 3 years old. Changed the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold gaskets, lagged the exhaust pipe, made a heat shield for the carb, cleaned the bowl, cleaned the emulsion block and checked the jets. Petrol is coming through clean and the tank has never had sealant in it. I've tried petrol from 2 different garages.

Each time out it gets slightly worse. What have I missed? Beginning to wonder if it could be a leaking head gasket? Any ideas appreciated.

Peter.

Print this item