The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Odd noise
Charles ..
For the last year I've been using an endoscope attached to my phone to diagnose internal engine issues,very cheap off eBay,it allows a view prior to dismantling which in some cases disturbs the culprit.. plus you can record any findings.Good luck.
Clutch toggle levers rattling? Dynamo rotor endfloat? Distributor shaft endfloat?
(22-03-2018, 09:04 AM)Dave Wortley Wrote: Clutch toggle levers rattling? Dynamo rotor endfloat? Distributor shaft endfloat?

Thanks Dave but no.
Still happens with clutch depressed.
No dynamo fitted
Magneto, not coil.

C
Bonus points to Ian Williams by the look of it.
This tappet had "opened up" to 15 thou in less than 3 minutes of running so I whipped the valve out.
The damage is clear and its what was suggested. 

Doesn't mean that Alan isn' also correct but I'm hoping he' wrong (in the nicest possible way)

Thanks Ian

Charles
This exact problem was recently alluded to by Dave Armstrong here: http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...919&page=2
The grind on the profile is pretty rough Charles, are they all like that?
great news so far! Out of interest, would the endoscope idea have been any use for diagnosis here? I'm intrigued (and presumably it would help for recognition of crankshaft types in unknown engines etc.)
(22-03-2018, 12:55 PM)JonE Wrote: great news so far! Out of interest, would the endoscope idea have been any use for diagnosis here? I'm intrigued (and presumably it would help for recognition of crankshaft types in unknown engines etc.)

Doubtful in this case Jon but like all tools it's can be an extra string in ones bow... as for crankshafts,yes it could but would need to be coupled with experience and knowledge.. more to verify really, casting marks numbers etc.
Endoscopic analysis not needed - but I've bought one on Amazon anyway.
The follower faces aren't anywhere near as bad as the picture suggests.
5 dodgy ones.
(22-03-2018, 12:42 PM)Charles P Wrote: Bonus points to Ian Williams by the look of it.
This tappet had "opened up" to 15 thou in less than 3 minutes of running so I whipped the valve out.
The damage is clear and its what was suggested. 

Doesn't mean that Alan isn' also correct but I'm hoping he' wrong (in the nicest possible way)

Thanks Ian

Charles
I think Paul re grinds camshafts with a 1/2" wheel.If relieving the sides of the follower they need to be no more than .400", or even .375" on the face.