The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cherished suppliers
(08-03-2018, 11:16 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: I don't really understand the question, surely you hit the cherished suppliers button and hey presto they appear.

Nigel,

Surely the question was clear, it’s the variety of answers that have caused confusion.
Life would be a little easier if there was a direct access from the new forum rather than having to use the now obsolete forum route.

Roger
(09-03-2018, 09:54 AM)Roger Wrote:
(08-03-2018, 11:16 PM)Nigel was in Brittany Wrote: I don't really understand the question, surely you hit the cherished suppliers button and hey presto they appear.

Nigel,

Surely the question was clear, it’s the variety of answers that have caused confusion.
Life would be a little easier if there was a direct access from the new forum rather than having to use the now obsolete forum route.

Roger

What seems a little odd here is the route in.... www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk brings us in to the website front page, and the suppliers button takes us to the suppliers, however, this page, the forum, is  http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...php?fid=14

Maybe there is some confusion still with others?

To be honest, I just punch Austin seven friends into google each time and hit the ref to the forum.

The forum button on www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk still goes to the old forum?

It would appear Roger that you are unaware of this perhaps?

Arthur

Thinking about it.....unless there is and I'm missing it

could there be a link from the new forum back to the front page of the website, then a button on that page indicating NEW FORUM and the button that states FORUM, becomes OLD FORUM

If you hit FORUM  from the front web page you have to scroll down to find the message about the new forum and this could become a nuisance for newcomers.

I'm a great believer in as many cross links as possible that take you back and forth on websites and it is things like this that makes a site far more user friendly.

Arthur
(09-03-2018, 10:28 AM)merlinart Wrote:

Nigel,
Roger

What seems a little odd here is the route in.... www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk brings us in to the website front page, and the suppliers button takes us to the suppliers, however, this page, the forum, is  http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...php?fid=14
To be honest, I just punch Austin seven friends into google each time and hit the ref to the forum.
Arthur

could there be a link from the new forum back to the front page of the website, then a button on that page indicating NEW FORUM and the button that states FORUM, becomes OLD FORUM
If you hit FORUM  from the front web page you have to scroll down to find the message about the new forum and this could become a nuisance for newcomers.
I'm a great believer in as many cross links as possible that take you back and forth on websites and it is things like this that makes a site far more user friendly.

Arthur

Ah! now I see it- I have never used that link right at the bottom of the new forum - it links to a very old version of the AustinSevenFriends page - 

[*] Austinsevenfriends.co.uk

this link really should be-

[*] http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/

which links to the current version of AustinSevenFriends page !!!! Smile Smile and in turn back to  the current new forum Smile Smile Smile

Either correct that or place a prominent new link at the top of the forum page stating 'back to the AustinSevenFriends page'

Then all will be happy Big Grin

Cheers, Tony.
I must have a different page to everyone else then, on the left of my page there is a column starting forum, I scroll down the page until the baby with a dummy , below that is a button marked Cherished Suppliers, starting with A7 Workshop , second Andrew Goodfellow and then A7 Components.
(09-03-2018, 10:28 AM)merlinart Wrote:

Nigel,

Roger

Arthur

Arthur
Arthur,

I totally agree with your last sentance, .
I have now discovered the very discreet link at the bottom of the forum page, this was what I had in mind when I asked the question. Something a little more obvious would be an improvement I believe.
Thanks to all for the input.

Roger
As I said then , why were you confused ?
(09-03-2018, 06:29 PM)Roger Wrote: Arthur,

I totally agree with your last sentence, .
I have now discovered the very discreet link at the bottom of the forum page, this was what I had in mind when I asked the question. Something a little more obvious would be an improvement I believe.

Roger

Hello- did anyone see my post below ??

"Ah! now I see it- I have never used that link right at the bottom of the new forum - it links to a very old version of the AustinSevenFriends page - 

[*]Austinsevenfriends.co.uk

[*]http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/

which links to the current version of AustinSevenFriends page !!!! [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] and in turn back to  the current new forum [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png]

Either correct that or place a prominent new link at the top of the forum page stating 'back to the AustinSevenFriends page'

Then all will be happy [Image: biggrin.png]

Cheers, Tony. "
(09-03-2018, 09:44 PM)Tony Press Wrote:
(09-03-2018, 06:29 PM)Roger Wrote: Arthur,

I totally agree with your last sentence, .

Roger

Hello- did anyone see my post below ??

"Ah! now I see it- I have never used that link right at the bottom of the new forum - it links to a very old version of the AustinSevenFriends page - 

[*]Austinsevenfriends.co.uk

[*]http://www.austinsevenfriends.com/

which links to the current version of AustinSevenFriends page !!!! [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] and in turn back to  the current new forum [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png] [Image: smile.png]

Then all will be happy [Image: biggrin.png]

Cheers, Tony. "
[*]
It would definitely make sense to make it simpler and therefore easier for new blokes and all. I realise of course that the transition from the old forum to the new one must have been quite a complicated exercise and well done to the webmaster!

My limited skills in Frontpage do my stuff, but I guess that these new fangled web templates are quite intuitive now?

Arthur
(10-03-2018, 11:30 AM)merlinart Wrote: [*]
My limited skills in Frontpage do my stuff, but I guess that these new fangled web templates are quite intuitive now?

Arthur
[*]

I am with Arthur on this. I manage two old websites with a venerable copy of Microsoft Expression Web and know just enough to get myself into trouble.

From experience running a forum is very difficult and I admire our management for this new version which I find very easy to use. 

Cheers, Tony.
Thanks for the heads up.
I have added a 'Website Home' button below the banner, which links to the main site.
I originally changed the banner to do this, and added a forum home button, but as people may be used to using the banner to get back to the forum front page, I thought this was a better option. Opinions welcome...
All the best