The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A7CA magazine
With all such publications done voluntarily, editorial freedom from interference is vital.
I seem to remember an expression about a goose and golden eggs...
Not that I have any idea as to the circumstances that have led to the editor (LG) apparently being dismissed , but it seems to me that someone who voluntarily offers his/her services and produces a publication that was well received by what would appear to be the majority of members should have been congratulated. The volume was professional and well thought out . I liked the Ad's presented in a faux vintage form so that they encouraged reading rather than skipping over, and found nothing remotely controversial in the mag.
I would like to thank Les for the work he has done and hope that the next issue is as good. If not a lot of people will want to know why.
I think many people have missed the note of 'Editorial Team' in the text earlier. This wasn't a one man show, and still isn't.

I'm sure Les contributed heavily to it but it reads as if a group put it together and came up with the revisions that have all been so well received.

If the Association hierarchy have decided on this course of action then I would think we owe them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to an explanation. There is a meeting shortly I think? Perhaps all will be explained there.

Sometimes things just don't work out on committees, with the best will in the world on all sides. Please don't take this as a detraction from the work of the Editor or anyone else but without all the facts then we are just doing what the internet does best - filling a vacuum with our own ideas!
The A7CA magazine was an excellent publication for many years, like any long running magazine it has had good and bad issues, more recently I feel it has taken a serious slump in the quality of content and the new edition appeared to be addressing this. Quite frankly I could not care less about the cover, traditionally it has been the grey mag and I for one am quite happy for it to remain so, what matters is quality content. We now have a difficult situation Les quite obviously feels strongly about what has gone on behind the scenes, but I am not sure that a public fight is good for anyone, however I as someone who contributes to the associations existence would like transparency and a clear explanation about what happened. I echo Peter's thoughts about people wanting answers should the magazine content slide again, no pressure what so ever on the person who takes over the reigns! It is easy to sit in our armchairs and be critical though, lets remember most of our organisations are run by volunteers trying to make a positive contribution.
Black Art Enthusiast
(04-04-2018, 05:07 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: The A7CA magazine was an excellent publication for many years, like any long running magazine it has had good and bad issues, more recently I feel it has taken a serious slump in the quality of content and the new edition appeared to be addressing this. Quite frankly I could not care less about the cover, traditionally it has been the grey mag and I for one am quite happy for it to remain so, what matters is quality content. We now have a difficult situation Les quite obviously feels strongly about what has gone on behind the scenes, but I am not sure that a public fight is good for anyone, however I as someone who contributes to the associations existence would like transparency and a clear explanation about what happened. I echo Peter's thoughts about people wanting answers should the magazine content slide again, no pressure what so ever on the person who takes over the reigns! It is easy to sit in our armchairs and be critical though, lets remember most of our organisations are run by volunteers trying to make a positive contribution.

As I said earlier-

I have been following the activities of the A7CA from afar for the past seven years and remember some very strong words to the committee over an unfortunate incident with water which was very satisfactorily resolved, resulting in a very excellent archive freely available on the website, so I would expect calm heads could equally well resolve this recent unfortunate incident. 

Cheers, Tony.